Black/Red Light effect

Robo Roach

Hi Robo Roach

Black light = UV-light (plus heat produced by absorption of visible light): Seams stupid to me cause it is not the best (in terms of ecology and economy) heating source and it's quite likely that roaches can see it and will feel disturbed. Besides, long term irradiation with UVA can be dangerous/harmful!

The red light might do fine cause roaches don't see long ranged red light and have a reduced sensitivity towards the 'rest of the red spectrum' and therefore are less disturbed by a red bulb. In addition it's a cheaper, safer, and regarding heat a more efficient/direct* night light. *With black light a good part of the energy is transformed into heat being transduced by conduction (the bulb and its socket will heat up) and/or will irradiate in every direction whereas the heat of a red tungsten lamp will in good parts be transduced by directed irradiation (towards the roaches).

Liebs Grüessli

Andreas

P.S. Sorry if my english is especially bad tonight but I lost my brains in the last 3 weeks of annual military service (= doing nothing useful and even that not very good)...

Hi Robo Roach

Black light = UV-light (plus heat produced by absorption of visible light): Seams stupid to me cause it is not the best (in terms of ecology and economy) heating source and it's quite likely that roaches can see it and will feel disturbed. Besides, long term irradiation with UVA can be dangerous/harmful!

The red light might do fine cause roaches don't see long ranged red light and have a reduced sensitivity towards the 'rest of the red spectrum' and therefore are less disturbed by a red bulb. In addition it's a cheaper, safer, and regarding heat a more efficient/direct* night light. *With black light a good part of the energy is transformed into heat being transduced by conduction (the bulb and its socket will heat up) and/or will irradiate in every direction whereas the heat of a red tungsten lamp will in good parts be transduced by directed irradiation (towards the roaches).

Liebs Grüessli

Andreas

P.S. Sorry if my english is especially bad tonight but I lost my brains in the last 3 weeks of annual military service (= doing nothing useful and even that not very good)...

Hi,

I will eventually go to a red bulb, but right know i am trying a green aquarium bulb, witch doesn't seem to bother them much. Its a little 15 watter and doesn't produce enough heat tho.

Regards