What do you do when you feel crummy?

BoogleBug

I have certain things I do when I am feeling a specific negative feeling. When I feel really lonely, I watch cartoons - it's nice to hear the cheery voices and get absorbed into a simpler world where things aren't so bad, and even big deals are easily dealt with. I also watch them when being a grown-up is feeling like it's too much to handle, which I think happens to everyone at least sometimes. People being cruel, adult stresses piling up, etc... reverting to my childhood helps me get through those times and better deal with them later.

When I just feel generally stressed or moody, or physically a bit crappy, a cup of hot tea, a good book and soothing music works wonders for me. As does curling up in my favorite blanket and pillow and napping in the sun.

However, nothing's really working for me right now... it's a bit harder to lift your spirits when your mind is so weighed down with worries.

When I have times like that.... I simply turn some music on and start tending to my creatures! Nothing like feeding or cleaning roach bins to take your mind off of things. If I especially need some uplifting... then ordering some spiderlings or roaches is often in store :)

Kevin

I have certain things I do when I am feeling a specific negative feeling. When I feel really lonely, I watch cartoons - it's nice to hear the cheery voices and get absorbed into a simpler world where things aren't so bad, and even big deals are easily dealt with. I also watch them when being a grown-up is feeling like it's too much to handle, which I think happens to everyone at least sometimes. People being cruel, adult stresses piling up, etc... reverting to my childhood helps me get through those times and better deal with them later.

When I just feel generally stressed or moody, or physically a bit crappy, a cup of hot tea, a good book and soothing music works wonders for me. As does curling up in my favorite blanket and pillow and napping in the sun.

However, nothing's really working for me right now... it's a bit harder to lift your spirits when your mind is so weighed down with worries.

There is a real health issue called Seasonal Affective Disorder. No seriously, its called S.A.D. Look it up if you don't believe me. Most of my family suffers from it. Its a mood disorder brought on be the seasonal shortening of the days. It usually hits me soon after labor day. I haven't tried drugs for it. Don't like 'em. The only thing that works for me is heavy regular exercise. It doesn't always work, but it usually helps. Even on the days it doesn't help my mood, at least I'm staying a little healthier. The farther North you are the worse it is. Good luck. I know how you feel.

Hi

This S.A.D. or similar illnesses are well known in very northern countries with very short days (or even only twilight) in winter.

One treatment is something like a 'light chamber', a very bright illuminated room in which you sit an hour or two every day (in some regions it is/was obligatory!).

Light leads to the production of serotonin which (besides many other effects) is essential for circadian rhythm and which lifts your mood (that's the way how prozac works ;) ).

Short-wavelength light (near UVA and blue) seem to be more efficient -> Illumination for reptiles/fish would do fine, like an Osram Vitalux 300W (made for humans as face tanning but often used for herps) or the canadian herpetology product Mega Ray 160W (both self-ballasted HQL blended light bulbs). Daylight HO T5 tubes (up to 80 W, best in Europe: BioVital by Narva ;) ) or NDL HCI (up to 250W) would do the job too.

Just 'sunbath' an extra hour in the morning and the evening to tell your brain that it's day and not night! I heard from a man having severe depressions till he used about 500W metallhalid lamps as a 'buzzer' every morning and *ZACK* within days he was fit again.

Grüessli

Andreas

What about going to the gym? Your health has a huge effect on your mood.

I can't afford a gym, but I do work-outs every night and cycle often, even in cold weather. It always makes me feel at least a little better.

Roachman26 & Pharma: I know about SAD, my mother and I both suffer from it greatly. I used to live in Florida, so living here in the dark mountains of West Virginia has made this even worse. I despise the winter months. It's very helpful what you shared, Pharma... thank you! :) I'll have to try that out. I have a few lights in the house that are meant to look like sunlight, I just don't spend enough time under them I guess.

I pray, read, or watch bugs. Sometimes all at the same time. Hissers rock for cheering me up!

I think a lot of people live lives of constant escapism, avoiding their problems with distractions like TV or excessive music. A person needs some quiet time to let their thoughts run amok, then order themselves, then run their course. Making To Do lists helps you set out your daily goals. Make lists of things you can accomplish on a daily basis and then for a week or so out. At the end of the day you can look at your completed list and feel good. You can also sneak a peak at tomorrows list and as you lay your head upon the pillow you can feel good about the day and as your mind begins to creep towards tomorrow's tasks, you can simply say "it's on the list and I don't need to think about it".

Also, spend your time reading motivational books or listening to mp3's of same. You can brainwash yourself to be depressed and you can brainwash yourself to be happy just as easily. There is no such thing as the real you anyway, because you constantly create yourself anew each day with combinations of old habits and new choices (usually the new choice is to perpetuate an old habit and we dont' realize we HAVE a choice!).

Also, the people you spend time with can greatly influence your mood. I don't make a habit of providing a shoulder to negative people. I hit them right back with a positive attitude and even if they don't want to stand shoulder to shoulder with me, at least I'm protected from their negativity.

In the moment you become aware of your bad mood you are witnessing it and no longer in that bad mood. The choice is yours what to do next.

Peter: That was very helpful, thank you. I have been learning from a friend of mine that it's not healthy for me to play the role of "therapist" to as many people as I do. While it makes me feel good to know I can help someone (when they actually LISTEN and seem interested in at least trying to help themselves), when I spend most of my social time helping other people with their problems, it leaves me little time to sort out my own. I tend to thrive on distractions because most of my own problems are depression-related and since I can't afford a therapist or medication, I try to find my own ways to subtly cheer myself up. Most all of my time is spent trying to "brainwash" myself into happiness; resorting to comforting things that put me into another world or state in my imagination... but I suppose I can't expect it to always be the solution, or even a healthy one.

I make lists alllll the time, too... it can be helpful for sorting thoughts and laying out plans, but I could use the motivation to actually check off those lists, as most of the time it takes me forever to do the simplest things on those lists. I think a lot of people have that problem; having lots of ideas but little will to make them come to life. Although, it has a lot to do with fear, too - fear of failure and fear of disappointment. I definitely know that is a VERY bad state of mind to be in, so I've been working on being more courageous to take chances, and learning how to not let disappointments/failures drag me down, because I know that eventually, I'll find something that works.

Hitting the weights or a punching bag or running works, if bad comes to worse and I can't find anything to do, there's always Jim Beam or Chivas Regal.

I figure everyone's got tough times, its best not to let things get to you, the world is going to keep turning and everything is going to keep moving whether you want to move with it or not.

Wow- what a heavy thread!

I have been through hell and back and learned to take bad situations and put them to use. But these days I am getting a little out of touch with what it was like to be down and out or have problems or stress- gave all that up. I have zero worries and stress inducing situations these days and try to keep it that way.

If you feel bad, I can always recommend a few choice countries to go visit for a few weeks and see what hard times are really all about- you will come home with a newfound appreciation for things all around.

Wow- what a heavy thread!

I have been through hell and back and learned to take bad situations and put them to use. But these days I am getting a little out of touch with what it was like to be down and out or have problems or stress- gave all that up. I have zero worries and stress inducing situations these days and try to keep it that way.

If you feel bad, I can always recommend a few choice countries to go visit for a few weeks and see what hard times are really all about- you will come home with a newfound appreciation for things all around.

I think sometimes people (especially those without any troubles or worries) tend to forget that there are people with chemical-related problems that can't be cured by just "giving it up"... wish it were that easy for all of us, though. It saddens me when people presume (not saying you are, mind you) that depressed people are just ungrateful or too easily dissatisfied. I am very appreciative of everything I have, little to big things never go unappreciated in my eyes. But that doesn't mean I can just say, "Oh, how lucky I am... *ting*! All better!" Again... if only it were that easy :/ Of course, there are always people out there who have it more difficult than others. I don't think that makes it unjustifiable for those of us who are more "blessed" than others to have legitimate depression, or at least the occasional downs. My ex-stepfather (a marine, of course) always tried to guilt me into feeling better by reminding me of all the starving children in the world, as though that was supposed to somehow make me feel better :(

I have come across your photobucket many times by googling various roaches, Matt. Just judging by the photos of your home and family and all the places you can afford to go, no wonder you have no worries. It would seem you have it all... my kudos to you for that!

Well, I do know a couple of people who have chemical (brain is wired that way) depression, so I know there is no switch for it. Sorry to hear thats the cause- I was only referring to the "typical" downs. I had years of depression and anxiety myself, but put it to work for me and it eventually faded.

As for "having it all", I don't, but it sure feels like I do. Really I have no business asking for more... hard to believe I was once homeless, unemployed, parasite ridden, and so on..... though I may never forget my opportunity to split a packet of Liptons onion soup between 4 bowls of hot water (one for me) and thankful I had that to "eat" for that day....

Just FYI, I am pro-pharmaceutical when it comes to any illness.....

:blink: