Teeny, tiny, termites

Zephyr

So I've been seeing these odd little bugs scampering around in my G. oblongonata enclosure (all cypress mulch with a few oak leaves) and the other night I finally checked them out under my microscope. They're termites. I checked the actual substrate and it's loaded with them. It's a very strange substrate for them; hot and dry. I really want to get a culture aside from the "natural" one going; is there a queen I need to look for, or can I just grab some of the bigger ones and hope they're "reproductives"?

• 1 month later...
So I've been seeing these odd little bugs scampering around in my G. oblongonata enclosure (all cypress mulch with a few oak leaves) and the other night I finally checked them out under my microscope. They're termites. I checked the actual substrate and it's loaded with them. It's a very strange substrate for them; hot and dry. I really want to get a culture aside from the "natural" one going; is there a queen I need to look for, or can I just grab some of the bigger ones and hope they're "reproductives"?

Are you familiar with psocids (psocoptera)? Your description sounds more like psocids than termites. These are commonly found in both dry and moist areas as long as there high organic material present. They resemble termites (though not related) and have well developed compound eyes. Worker termites are neonates and lack eyes all together. Only reproductive adult termites possess eyes. Hope this helps.

Mark

No, it won't... Well, at least not for your furniture. Your house... uuuhhh... if it's moist and dirty it will but otherwise not. The thing with your mother is something different but she seems to tolerate your other pets and therefore it's quite likely that she wouldn't be more stressed than she already is ;) !

And another thing: There are about a hundred species within the psocoptera family and only very few are 'kind of pest-like', meaning that they might occur mainly in new houses where there is a lot of dust left over from construction and if the walls aren't dried out enough but non to my knowledge are real pest insects. Many species would never live in a house and prefer free nature.

• 1 year later...