fine mesh screen?

James M.

Where in the heck can I find some fine mesh screen for roach containers? I work at LOWES and we do not have it at our store.

I bought a whole roll of aluminum window screen at OSH. Works great so far. Its really fine, clean, easy to work with and none of the tiniest babies of any of my species can fit through it. Are you talking about that superfine brass stuff? I haven't been able to find that either. Anyone else?

I bought a whole roll of aluminum window screen at OSH. Works great so far. Its really fine, clean, easy to work with and none of the tiniest babies of any of my species can fit through it. Are you talking about that superfine brass stuff? I haven't been able to find that either. Anyone else?

Helpful hint included!

Aluminum window screen available at Lowes and other hardware stores works fine for 98% of roaches you might want to keep. I have part of a brass super-fine mesh roll that I bought a while back and it was $300 for the roll. If you need small quantities/pieces/patches I could sell some. I have not found it necessasary for most of the species with tiny babies. What do you want to use it for?

Some of the species with tiny babies (that climb, many do not) you can use aluminum window screen in two layers- one piece over the openiong and another piece glued down over the first bu slightly off-set so as to reduce the openings 75% of thier actual size. (i.e. the intersections of the second piece are centered over the openings of the first piece).

Rarely do you need micro-mesh screen in my experiences. I do use it for sure on potential pest species like Periplaneta sp. and B.germanica, etc.

I was thinking of the overlapping method as well with the aluminum screening and seen that $300 roll of brass screening on line and had thought maybe some place else may have smaller quantities and cheaper. I thought it may need to be used for something small like Gyna lurida. What is the best method of housing and containing small fliers and climbers?

• 5 months later...