Reptile Forum?

Roachman26

Can anyone recommend a quality reptile forum? I wanna talk reptiles too. I've looked around a little bit, but haven't found anything like the quality here. Kingsnake.com is just not for me. Roachforum.com is my first and only forum. Am I just spoiled now? Are there no others on other subjects that are this good?

I've found that this forum (can maybe extended out to mantidforum as well, even though I’m not a member) is much better than many. Whether the difference is due to a much smaller size, awesome moderators, or maybe blattoculturists to be a different breed than tarantula people or herpetoculturists, I’m not sure. I keep about two dozen or so tarantulas and so occasionally I lurk around one of those, uh… arachnid boards to see what’s up. Some of the junk that goes on there is unbelievable though and people get way out of hand; on the RARE occasion that someone on this board gets fired up it usually is pretty harmless and cools off quick. For the short answer, if you are looking for another boards like this then good luck.

Alright, so that probably didn’t help you with your reptile question. If you find a really good one let us know!

I'm pretty sure we have a good assortment of reptile keepers here. Maybe we should open a reptile category here since many people join initially for info. on feeder-roach care.

I'm not a breeder, but I have a bearded dragon, water dragon, veiled chameleon, leopard gecko, banded gecko and a corn snake.

There are good forums out there for reptiles. I prefer to use the ones that are specific to the kind of reptile I'm curious about.

Hi

Weeelllll.... there are some good ones like for example Schlangenforum (THE Swiss herp forum), Terraristik Talk (my favorite one), Bartagamen Infos (best for bearded dragons), Vogelspinnen-Stammtisch (THE Swiss tarantula forum), and DGHT (THE German community for herpetology & terraristic) but they are in German; 'others' are heartly welcome as well and there are a few Denglish discussions too!

Any US-forum I've seen till now is mere scum: taming bearded dragons, keeping reptiles without substrate (hygiene = sterility), stuff them into far too small enclosures etc. People there think that we Swiss/German guys are 'loco' when we tell them how to keep reptiles near-natural and throw us out. How many in the States keep their bearded dragons in a 200x80x100 lxwxh (in centimeter!) terrarium with 500 watt high-end illumination?

I'm interested in some good US 'general terraristic fora' as well!!

Grüessli

Andreas

I'm pretty sure we have a good assortment of reptile keepers here. Maybe we should open a reptile category here since many people join initially for info. on feeder-roach care.

I'm not a breeder, but I have a bearded dragon, water dragon, veiled chameleon, leopard gecko, banded gecko and a corn snake.

There are good forums out there for reptiles. I prefer to use the ones that are specific to the kind of reptile I'm curious about.

Peter, that is a fantastic idea! I'm not a breeder either, but I'd love to share info with other people and I've been, let's just say, unimpressed with any other forum.

Hi

Weeelllll.... there are some good ones like for example Schlangenforum (THE Swiss herp forum), Terraristik Talk (my favorite one), Bartagamen Infos (best for bearded dragons), Vogelspinnen-Stammtisch (THE Swiss tarantula forum), and DGHT (THE German community for herpetology & terraristic) but they are in German; 'others' are heartly welcome as well and there are a few Denglish discussions too!

Any US-forum I've seen till now is mere scum: taming bearded dragons, keeping reptiles without substrate (hygiene = sterility), stuff them into far too small enclosures etc. People there think that we Swiss/German guys are 'loco' when we tell them how to keep reptiles near-natural and throw us out. How many in the States keep their bearded dragons in a 200x80x100 lxwxh (in centimeter!) terrarium with 500 watt high-end illumination?

I'm interested in some good US 'general terraristic fora' as well!!

Grüessli

Andreas

Thanks for that Pharma. As soon as I learn German I'll give those a try. But seriously, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has found the Reptile Forums lacking in comparison to our forum here. I don't know if I'd go as far as "mere scum", but to each his own. You Euro's don't have the market cornered on good reptile housing, though. I know lots of people with big, beautiful, custom reptile cages here. They just aren't on the forums you found. How many in Europe keep their tortoises in 6000 square foot outdoor naturalistic enclosures year round? The climate is nice enough where I live to give all my reptiles natural sunlight almost year round. This eliminates the need for 500watts of anything. Most of them have a 75 watt incandescent hot spot and go outside for sunshine most days. I don't think you are "loco" and I'm sorry that you ran into some of the more socially under-developed Americans on your other forums. Let our roach forum be your proof that there are also educated, intelligent, thoughtful Americans. I've travelled over-seas quite a bit, so I'm well aware of the rest of the worlds opinon of "typical Americans". We're just like any other country. We've got good ones and we've got bad ones. I'm crossing my fingers that the moderators here will open a reptile section. Then we can all engage in some wothwhile reptile discussions too. Until then, I'll keep looking for a good one here(that speaks english) and keep you posted.

Hi roachman

You're so right in every point!

In Germany & Switzerland there are well over 100 reptile-related fora (forums?) and not 10% are worth a byte...

Terraristic here around is still a hobby for 'freaks' but it's growing quite fast and with it the fora are mushrooming up (mainly in the field of 'mere scum' unfortunately).

We're quite jealous of those of you with outdoor enclosures.... *wanna-have-too!*

That's something only possible in southern Europe but people there usually have a very distinct sense for animals (= edible object with legs) like the one near Rome who breeds the bearded dragon morphs 'Leatherback' & 'Silkback' demonstrates.

I can understand that those with great keeping conditions don't give a rip about talking on a forum about 'small scale indoor enclosures'.

The problem with finding a forum on google or alike often leads to the bad ones because they have a bigger impact on the main population (who many want to go into detail and think about what they're really doing?) and therefore have a better googability...

I don't think that all US people are stupid. Otherwise I wouldn't be registered here, would I? It took me quite long to find some useful fora here around and I just couldn't find any (except this one here) from the USA up till now. So it'll be great if you can find one or two!

Grüessli

Andreas

P.S. Besides being the best roach-forum (since the German one closed down) it's a very good writing exercise for me too and in addition helps me to reduce any remaining prejudices! :P

• 1 year later...

i also have loads of other reptiles quick list 3 green iguanas though total hebivores though talking about water cress and spring greens aint reaally going to do it for me,.....1 nile monitor couple of bearded dragons...... leo's..... hedgehogs.... and a few tarantullas oh and my chameleon so a fair few to feed maybe a reptile part would be good a small subsection maybe? any way building up my roach colony's both dubias and hissers looking for some other variety that dont smell and are totally crap at climbing

cheers Andy

• 4 months later...

Old thread and a new member. :) There is a good reptile forum in the US if you like a field herping slant. Its membership is definitely international though.

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=b47b7b91c014a4c940e96738ddf86af4

The feildherpforum is the only good reptile forum i've seen. I obsessively check this forum and im more than happy to help out with any reptile questions. I check the fieldherpforum about once twice a month.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the type of reptiles you are interested in. www.beardeddragon.org is a great place to go for bearded dragon info, for rhac species (cresteds, gargs, chewies, leachies) I highly suggest www.pangeareptile.com and if not there then hit up www.repashyforums.com for leopard geckos try geckoforums.net which they are pretty good with other species of semi arid geckos, along with some tropical like fatties they have a huge fattail gecko following over there. And for the oddball geckos try www.geckosunlimited.com

The nice thing is for the more popular species you can find forums for them, then quite often there are owners on there who own other species. Like I am most active on pangea but I am not limited to just spilling out crested info as I was once a mod for a beardie forum (just lacked time to continue to do it so I stepped down). But we also have people who keep more phelsuma then they do rhacs, we also have a huge leaf tail following over there, along with many other species. And we do have the weirdo bug lovers over there too ;) So although it can be hard to find a well rounded forum, normally finding a specific forum you will find there are enough people on there who have had alot of experience in other areas to help bridge the gap for you.

• 8 months later...