Just got my G.portentosa and one got loose!

araceae

:excl: I got G.portentosa, 2 normal, and one black, the black female got loose thanks to my cat!! :angry:

The roach is trapped in my room, my cats are locked out, but I cant find her!!! :o I am freaking out!!! Is there any way to attract them????

I am sure my cat didnt kill or eat it, she touched it then freaked out. :excl:

also-can G.portentosa go in a tank with B.dubias?

Just tore my whole room appart, no sign of her!!!! :(

I set out sliced oranges aroud my room and turned out the lights to see if she will come out.

....Why did it have to be the **BEAUTIFUL** black one? ......why couldnt it be the normal ones!? :(

My mom already said if I dont find it before she does, she will kill it :'(

Anyone know what else I can do? How long can they survive out of a tank?

Depending on the temperature of your room, a sort of heat trap might work. If you have some sort of heat sorce (like a heat lamp or rock) set it up nearest to where the hisser was last seen. I think if you move the food over by the heat source you might get an added effect, as it will probably help the food to rot and spread into the air through convection (hot air rising and cold air coming in). I guess the only other thing to do is go back over all of the cracks and corners around, they like to squeeze into tight areas. If anything, relax and give the thing some time to come out on it's own. Chances are that you may have been too frantic during the search and scared her into something. Good luck to you, I hope the idea may bring a solution.

They can live a long time out of their cage. Probably weeks. You'd better hope she wasn't preggers yet. G. portentosa is a very hardy species. You'll probably find her in your mom's shoe or purse or something like that. Not sayin' how I would know such a thing... just seems to go that way more often than not. I don't know why they can't get in MY shoes..uhh I mean YOUR shoes.....cough....cough....

Man, I feel for you! You've checked under things and near the radiator/heat source already, right? It can't hurt to look again. She will live quite a while though. Get a flashlight and search for her at night, anytime after 8-9:00 will give you a much higher chance. Keep trying with aromatic baits.

Your mom couldn't be more sympathetic. <_<

Man, I feel for you! You've checked under things and near the radiator/heat source already, right? It can't hurt to look again. She will live quite a while though. Get a flashlight and search for her at night, anytime after 8-9:00 will give you a much higher chance. Keep trying with aromatic baits.

Your mom couldn't be more sympathetic. <_<

I will try that ,

thanks!

Double check your enclosure. They can be tricky little devils. If it hunkered down somewhere (say in a piece of bark) it might not move for another week. (I've seen hissers in my enclosures sit in one spot and not move for days on end.)

• 1 month later...

well actually i had this happen alot at first, and just found a female dubia and hisser living in the bottom of a pet stuff box a month after switching rooms with the master bed and had moved roaches to escape proof tubs, after they had had another litter of babies. unfortunately if she does have babies the hissers need more humidity than the average person's home will provide, so they will die off abotu the first molting time, were the dubia live on and grow. the best way to lure then to you is with the cheap smelly old roy dog food or the purina dry cat food, as it reaks and mine run right out to it besides the preggers, that only come out if i put out oranges mostly that fast in minutes (the wife hated me showing her that trick the first time, as a blaberus ran right up to her and she hates all but the hissers. hahaha). if you want to try to lure her to stay somewere put a heat pad under a paper egg carton, and put fresh cat food and water crystals in it, as thats how i got the dubia nymphs in one spot when i opened a shipment and they exploded out the box in small number of tiny nymphs (right now alls i have is the hisser nymphs that a couple escaped, and wont come out for food, as they were newborns and i had to put out the litter from the parent' tank to get them. maybe you could put the rest in a tiny vented container in a bigger one with just enough room for iut to get in by them and it might stay close to them, as ive found the escapees trying to get in by the rest if alone (i had a human heating pad under my hisser tub, on the floor, but now up on a shelf, so they get into the other roach tubs instead probly).