blatta70

What is "Therea bernhardti"?

Hello, this is Mark. I have seen the recently described name (Therea bernhardti) being used in reference to the Domino Cockroach (Therea petiveriana). Does anyone know if these are synonymous or are they in fact two separate but similar species?

Thanks, Mark

From what I can gather through a few thorough Google searches, Therea petiveriana has been renamed T. bernhardti.

Hello, this is Mark. I have seen the recently described name (Therea bernhardti) being used in reference to the Domino Cockroach (Therea petiveriana). Does anyone know if these are synonymous or are they in fact two separate but similar species?

Thanks, Mark

Some German guys decided they'd describe the culture found in the hobby as a new species. I don't know if they based it on something definitive like genitalia differences --doubtful-- or thought they'd describe a new species on a slight difference in color pattern (T. petiveriana spots are round like the specimen on the back of the Allpet Roaches book, not square). It's not in the blattodea species file.

Hi Mark

The guy renaming the domino roach cultured here in Europe (User Lucihormetica if I remember correctly) does genitalia dissections in general. I don't know whether he did it in the particular case because the report is not yet freely available (therefore I didn't read it).

You might send him a PM?

Grüessli

Andreas

Resurrecting this very old thread. What's the status on this? Was the name changed from T. petiveriana or is T. bernhardti actually a new species? 

Both are currently valid species though if synonymized in the future petiveriana would be the only correct name. The difference for the description is the color of the hind wings.