Genes-

Matt K

Funny how I have periodically gotten PM's or emails regarding someone wanting to obtain "new bloodlines" of a roach species. As far as I know, roaches are more or less built for inbreeding and do it to maintain a colony. Most species in the USA all started from the same original colony anyway, so new genes are highly unlikely. It may even be that roaches can go for thousands of years without any introduction from a new colony. If inbreeding were an issue, I doubt any one colony would last more than a year or two without dramatic changes- I have one colony that is 14 years old and started from 5 or 6 individuals I bought at a pet shop that is still 'normal' withoiut introduction of any 'new' genes.....

Commments?

I used to think inbreeding was a problem with my roaches (the logic being: "All my roaches are inbreeding and that's why I'm seeing wing mismolts, deformities, blah blah blah!") but the real problem was in fact overcrowding from them being so prolific. :P

My oldest un-touched colonies, B. giganteus and A. tesselata, are by far some of my sturdiest cultures.