Crazy roach healing ability?

vfox

Okay so...I have a tank of discoids and the other night this guy molted out and for some reason someone decided to start munching on him. I found it odd because the guys are loaded with food, water gel, and are misted regularly...anyway, something ate a wing, leg, and part of its body while it was still soft white. I thought "well crap, there goes a potential breeder" and decided to just give him a little time to see what happens. Well...it's been four days so far and he has fully hardened and has no trouble getting around or eating. He didn't "bleed out" like most injured insects would, instead it's a seemingly healthy and mobile roach. I still have my doubts about its longevity but dang, this guy is a survivor!

zspw8x.jpg

They are excellent survivors, that's for sure.

I remember one time while I was feeding my plated lizards hissers one got too far out of range and I literally took a stab at getting it back. The tweezers completely pierced the area between the two wing stubs and went straight through the roach. It scurried off into a crack between some rocks in the tank.

A month or two later while cleaning the tank I found him; perfectly healed with a small scab where the injury was and very fat.

Yeah this guy is like crazy. He reminds me of what a cockroach zombie would look like. Half eaten and still totally cool with it...and hungry for my brain, but hey, whatever. :P

Insects have superb healing skills. Even so, I wouldn't expect him to survive if he stays with the others. There'll be competition for food as well as the chance of another chomp.

I don't know Ralph, they really don't seem to bother him, he eats and climbs on the cork just like the others. It's just bizarre how normal it acts.

He's in denial of his condition. :lol:

I wonder if he'll get to mate or if the females would reject an invalid.

I thought this fella had died because he was in the same spot all day. I opened the tank and grabbed him and he quickly clamored out of my hand and under a hide. I thought that was odd...he seemed lifeless lol. I pulled him out again and took a good look at him. Perfectly healed, strong considering the missing limb, and fast. I have no doubt this guy will last quite a while at this point.

In keeping with my Blaberus discoidalis norm I had about 5 more adults molt out this week already. I better start seeing more babies soon or I'm going to think all my discoids are celibate lol.

In keeping with my Blaberus discoidalis norm I had about 5 more adults molt out this week already. I better start seeing more babies soon or I'm going to think all my discoids are celibate lol.

It'll probably be a month or two, livebearers have longer gestation periods. But discoids are very prolific once they get going.

Yeah Blaberus in general are once they get underway. Breeding is slow right now for all my species, it'll pick up a lot more when my house is warmer. Last year with my fusca hybrids it was all I could do to keep them in check. Since I no longer keep them it's been slow on the breeding front because I moved recently and couldn't bring them with me. All of my colonies are pretty new right now and only now is breeding becoming regular. Even my lats and lobsters are taking it slow lol.