YES! Finally found some!

vfox

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot believe they are outside moving around in 27 degree weather. So if I go outside and start looking under rotted wood when it warms up, will I see roaches?

Once spring hits, yes. Otherwise you can still find them right now it's just not as easy because the wood is frozen.

Woot! Just had an adult female mature like ten minutes ago! Now I have a potential breeding pair. I'll put pictures up later.

EDIT: Make that two females! I just noticed a second! :D

Man I am so jealous. I want to know what is going on with mine! hahaha. Congratz again! Yours matured quickly after their diapause

But these didn't really go through a long diapause, just down to the 50's for like a month outside before I found them. Mine on my porch have not molted at all since their chill down, which they are still in.

I just got home from work and looked in on my new Parcoblatta pennsylvanica females and noticed my male looked lighter than I thought. Turns out it was a new adult male! Now I have two adult males and two adult females in this little enclosure. I'm really surprised by having so many mature all at once like this but I'm pretty stoked about it.

How many ootheca do these lay again, like 8-12 in their lifetime? I'm curious how they will do in a larger culture, I'm sure I'll have oodles in the next several months.

I just got home from work and looked in on my new Parcoblatta pennsylvanica females and noticed my male looked lighter than I thought. Turns out it was a new adult male! Now I have two adult males and two adult females in this little enclosure. I'm really surprised by having so many mature all at once like this but I'm pretty stoked about it.

How many ootheca do these lay again, like 8-12 in their lifetime? I'm curious how they will do in a larger culture, I'm sure I'll have oodles in the next several months.

that's double dating (except you get more babies) :D

Let's hope your "vfox magic" works on them lol :P

Lol.

Ya know it's kinda funny because I don't really follow perfect husbandry suggestions yet all but my white eyed Americans and Orange heads are doing very well. (my Peppered and Roths are not matured yet so I don't count them lol)

Lol.

Ya know it's kinda funny because I don't really follow perfect husbandry suggestions yet all but my white eyed Americans and Orange heads are doing very well. (my Peppered and Roths are not matured yet so I don't count them lol)

LOL :lol: :lol:

The roths are awesome!

Holy crap a different cockroach was mixed within my Parcoblatta pennsylvanica! I'm going to guess it's a "wood or field" roach but I didn't search yet. If anyone knows what this is that'd be cool, it's about the size of a German roach, about half an inch.

Sorry for the bad pics, from my phone again, lol.

5z4dav.jpg

2056wyf.jpg

Holy crap a different cockroach was mixed within my Parcoblatta pennsylvanica! I'm going to guess it's a "wood or field" roach but I didn't search yet. If anyone knows what this is that'd be cool, it's about the size of a German roach, about half an inch.

Sorry for the bad pics, from my phone again, lol.

5z4dav.jpg

2056wyf.jpg

Looks like another species of Parcoblatta to me. There's always the slight chance it could be Symploce sp. too.

There are a few species that look a lot like that (the orange male), aren't there? I had some for a while but strangely enough they didn't breed... Anyway, your female's wings are really beautiful!

The new male (it is a male for sure, it has cerci and styli) and it's possibly a Parcoblatta virginica but I won't be sure until I photograph the "hair" structures. It's small though, less than half the size of my Parcoblatta pennsylvanica males. It's literally the size a German roach.

And to prove to Hisserman that I have "magic" with my roaches, one of my females is extending an ootheca. AND last night two more males molted out making it 5 males, two females as of right now. :)

dzxi76.jpg

The new male (it is a male for sure, it has cerci and styli) and it's possibly a Parcoblatta virginica but I won't be sure until I photograph the "hair" structures. It's small though, less than half the size of my Parcoblatta pennsylvanica males. It's literally the size a German roach.

And to prove to Hisserman that I have "magic" with my roaches, one of my females is extending an ootheca. AND last night two more males molted out making it 5 males, two females as of right now. :)

dzxi76.jpg

LOL There it is.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratz! I'm so very jealous. I have no idea if mine are even still in their enclosure, or if they found a way to escape

Don't worry, you will get to see your little minions soon. :)

If they escaped I'd imagine you would get a frantic phone call btw, lol.

Okay so another one of those smaller males molted out today and from what I can tell I have two more of that kind in there. They look like P. pennsylvanica nymphs but are obviously sub adults and less than half the size.

I still haven't figured out what they are. Zephyr, who do you send roaches off to for identification?

Oh, do Parcoblatta lay their ootheca or do they have live birth? The ooth is laying in the enclosure right now, I thought that's what they did but I wasn't sure.

For non-native species I generally ask just about everyone I know for info on them. lol

For natives, I post them on BugGuide. As Vulgaris saidd, John Carlson generally ID's them. Shots of the males with wings spread are what he needs for Parcoblatta ID's.

Yes, they do lay ooths.