Is this a suitable roach staple?

Petastic

With my past colony I just used the roach chow that came with the kit, but since I'm just getting roaches today, I was wondering if these fish pellets are a suitable staple. I made sure to crush the green cichlid pellets to some degree, and added a little chicken layer. It's around 36% protein, and other than the chicken layer the label doesn't state anything about calcium. Is that too much protein?

as long as you mix in some fruit in there is should be fine

Sure thing. A little calcium isn't bad, right? The food is 8 parts fish food and 2 parts chicken layer. The chicken layer is a little high in calcium - 4.1. I've heard too much calcium can complicate molts and kill roaches/crickets.

I tried fish flakes with mine...they get soggy and stink pretty bad really fast. I prefer dog food, oranges, apples, and water gel for all my roaches.

I made sure to ground it to the consistency of commercial roach chow. They seem to like it and it barely smells. Gave them an orange and a piece of banana. Even witnessed a male courting and mating with a female! Remember the fish food is pellets which are the size of dog kibble.

• 1 month later...