Anyone grow mushrooms????????

hisserman

not a mushroom person but growing things is fun and i have dabbled in hydroponics. actually just started looking through seed catalogs and really exited for next summer so i sort of now how you feel lol.

Yeah I actually hate white button mushrooms......

For newbies I recommend oyster mushrooms which you can get in a kit at:

http://www.fungi.com/kits/indoor.html

They grow on ANYTHING :D :D :D :D :D Finally people who know what I'm talking about B) lol

mm might have to try that some time. to be honest alot of the things i grow i hate eating but love growing, i mean i'm not a huge tomato fan but there are some amazing heirloom varieties that i would love to growing.

lol me too B)

when i get my hydro setup going in the spring i'll defiantly take some photos for you guys.

edit: i just realized i have the perfect place to grow mushrooms in my house. i live in a house where the first part was built in the 1870's so we have a lot of weird things. on of those is no basement the house literally has no foundation it just sites on a pile of rocks and a craw space. you can get to it though a trap door behind the bar (the house was a hotel for a time) and is dark damp and cool during the summer.

when i get my hydro setup going in the spring i'll defiantly take some photos for you guys.

edit: i just realized i have the perfect place to grow mushrooms in my house. i live in a house where the first part was built in the 1870's so we have a lot of weird things. on of those is no basement the house literally has no foundation it just sites on a pile of rocks and a craw space. you can get to it though a trap door behind the bar (the house was a hotel for a time) and is dark damp and cool during the summer.

Cool!

I put mine in my garage, where it is always 55-75 F or if they like warm weather I put them outside where the average temp is 85. :D

I've done the oyster mushroom kit before. It yielded an amazing amount of mushrooms. I also went chanterelle picking a few months ago and brought back a 5 gallon bucket of them. I ate a lot of soups, omelets, fried with hamburgers, etc. that week and can't wait for next season.

I grow too many bugs to grow mushrooms, but send us a photo of your shaggy mane and a name. I'd like to check them out.

I love to eat mushrooms, except those ones they call straw mushrooms occasionally found in stir fry dishes at thai restaurants. The buttery black cap ones are delicious, however. I always have a bag of dried shiitake on hand.

I'd like to read more about other species you've raised.

I've done the oyster mushroom kit before. It yielded an amazing amount of mushrooms. I also went chanterelle picking a few months ago and brought back a 5 gallon bucket of them. I ate a lot of soups, omelets, fried with hamburgers, etc. that week and can't wait for next season.

I grow too many bugs to grow mushrooms, but send us a photo of your shaggy mane and a name. I'd like to check them out.

I love to eat mushrooms, except those ones they call straw mushrooms occasionally found in stir fry dishes at thai restaurants. The buttery black cap ones are delicious, however. I always have a bag of dried shiitake on hand.

I'd like to read more about other species you've raised.

Mushrooms I've grown and the rating from easiest to hardest (:rolleyes:):

Note: I grow them on cardboard, woodchips, or logs after I get the kit and it fails!!!

Oysters = grows on all 3:

pink:

temp grows at 85-95 F (easy; but exotic)

normal (pearl):

temp grows at: 50-80 (!) (SUPER EASY)

Blue Oyster:

grows at: 50-68 (easy, but exotic)

Hypsizygus ulmarius: OUTSIDE TEMP!!! PUT OUTSIDE!!! Grows on mulch, straw or woodchips. HELPS PLANTS GROW!!! SUPER EASY BUT OUTSIDE!

Shiitake = grows on logs:

easy, cut open slits in a log and put your used kit into the slits, soak logs once in awhile. Not going into all the subspecies!!

Nameko = log INSIDE:

EASY, one of my favorites, log must be indoors, or mushrooms will be eaten

Enokitake = log inside:

SUPER EASY; grows on log indoors, up to 9,000 mushrooms from one kit! WOULD BE EVEN EASIER THEN OYSTERS, BUT NEEDS INDOORS

Lion's Mane and Maitake = logs outdoors:

EASY, just put in logs (don't put both species together)

Pioppino:

MY FAVORITE, fastest log grower, tastes best, etc.

Stropharia rugoso-annulata (garden giant, wine cap, etc) = outdoors on woodchips:

SUPER EASY,just bury in woodchips

Shaggy Mane OUTDOORS, indoors for me because I'm crazy:

SUPER EASY OUTDOORS!

"Shaggy Manes (Coprinus comatus) are delicious and widespread throughout the northern hemisphere. Shaggy Manes can be grown in a wide variety of composted materials, and favor rich soils, especially those of newly created lawns. Simply mix the mushroom spawn provided into a soil bed or compost pile, follow the watering instructions, and wait. Fruitings occur primarily in the Fall."

OK, so not widespread due to 2-3 hours after picking, turns to black goo!

I rate it #1 outdoors (until I went wacko and try it indoors)

Do you always buy spore or what do they call it, "spawn" to start your cultures or do you have success starting new cultures from old ones?

This is a very interesting sounding hobby and if I didn't spend every free moment with bugs, I'd do mushrooms or maybe plants or both!

Like, could I trade you roaches for starter a culture of Pioppino?

Do you always buy spore or what do they call it, "spawn" to start your cultures or do you have success starting new cultures from old ones?

This is a very interesting sounding hobby and if I didn't spend every free moment with bugs, I'd do mushrooms or maybe plants or both!

Like, could I trade you roaches for starter a culture of Pioppino?

Yeah, It's alot of fun :D I buy "spawn" (a kit) then when it stops producing ("fruiting"), I put them on or in different things.

Ex. You get a oyster mushroom kit, it runs out of "food" you put it in different things. In the cases of oysters, they grow on anything. Just break apart the kit and shove a little spawn in whatever it can grow on. Like pioppino you cut slits in the log and seal it with something. It can take a few days to a few years, depending on log size. Like, a two inch "log" would fruit right away, but last maybe on batch while a 25 foot log might take 5 years to fruit, but when it starts, It'll keep fruiting for maybe 50 years or so! But for them to spread, you'd need spawn, so you should just barely cut open the end of your log and cut open the end of another log, then when you're sure it's spreading, remove it. NOTE: In this case, other fungi may grow on it and kill part of it if you're not careful.

Oysters, on the other hand are easier. They can grow on anything from coffee grounds to logs.

About the trade: I would trade, but my pioppinos failed. I'm in the middle of a log growing right now. Sorry <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

the shaggy mane is doing well! If all goes well, I may have a endless supply of shaggy mane spawn! My Hypsizygus ulmarius is really taking off, and it increases plant growth by nearly 150%!

In a few months I may be up for trades if anyone wants :D

Ok (for anyone that cares)

I'm attempting a new aggressive subspecies of the "golden oyster" where:

1. It can grow on anything, I'm growing mine on log stumps, coffee grinds, paper, straw, woodchips, toiletpaper-- I coppied field and forest on the idea (!!!)

2. It grows faster than normal oysters!!!

3. Can control when it fruits-- put it in the fridge for 1 day+ (+ means up to 1 year here!) Then keep it at 50- 90 F until you get them!

4. Are golden

May sell/trade kits! My favorite oyster (tastes good)!

• 2 weeks later...