Collecting in my area.

Yesterday, I went to a park that I usually find some cool bugs in. This time I was looking for roaches. I found 2 surinam nymphs. :huh:

I can't believe I only found 2 nymphs. If I look in my yard for the same amount of time, I will find at least 20. It seems that if I put any extra effort into collecting, I don't find much of anything. :mellow: It is the same way when I go looking for mantids.

Next time, I will just go for a walk through the park. I am always surprised by something interesting when I am not looking for anything. :lol: I just thought that I would share my frustrating experience.

Me and some friends on mine found some Parcoblatta sp. here in California. We had to dig, and turn some decent sized rocks over.

I am glad that someone has had some luck. :lol: I was surprised that I didn't find more than those 2 nymphs. There was alot of rotten wood laying around, I did some turning, digging, and even busting open the rotten wood.

I found a little plant pot snake and some angry ants in one of the rotten wood pieces. I did see some tiny roach nymphs in and under a piece of cardboard but there was also a black widow there, and by the time I chased her away, all of the nymphs had escaped into the brush before I could even figure out what kind they were. <_<

Almost every time I turn up something that is venomous, and try to chase it away, it comes toward me and tries to hide in my stuff. :rolleyes: I would probably be able to collect more if I didn't have my 5 year old daughter with me, she is dangerously fearless and I end up not being able to concentrate enough on collecting when I am trying to keep her out of trouble. Next school year when she is in full time school, it will be on. :D

dang hisserman that must be a big bummer bro,

i think i would loose my mind if could not step outside and find some critters. . .

Well, if you were willing to drive about 30 mins away hisserman... I actually found a small family of roaches under a rock living with the isopods I had found a few weeks back. I wish I had my camera with me, I think I may go back there next I have some time. They were a nice dark brown-red color and were of fairly good size too (1.5in?)

Today, I went hunting for snakes in my backyard. I found no snakes but I did find a few things. I found around 40 large sized Surinams, 40 Scarlet millipedes, a couple of Bumblebee millipedes, and 2 Leatherleaf slugs. I continued my hunt in the yard across the street and added around 20 more Surinams, also spotted more Scarlet and Bumblebee millies, saw a few assasin bugs, and a termite colony.I always find anything but what I am looking for. :lol:

Well, if you were willing to drive about 30 mins away hisserman... I actually found a small family of roaches under a rock living with the isopods I had found a few weeks back. I wish I had my camera with me, I think I may go back there next I have some time. They were a nice dark brown-red color and were of fairly good size too (1.5in?)

Really? In what area is that? By you?

@ likebugs: lol :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't found any thing yet. The weather has just started getting better. Funny thing is that I've been doing tree work for years and never realized how great native species are lol. Passed up sooo many opportunities for beetles and roaches. Never again! Believe Phylodromica trivittata is a recent introduction to California fauna defiantly on my list. Lets not forget species unknown to science. A new species was found in NYC not too long ago :) Who knows what you may find new species are introduced everyday.

In California, you can find Parcoblatta americana, a whole bunch of pest species, Arenivaga sp., Phylodromica trivittata, and a very interesting species whose name escapes me (it's Peter's avatar picture.)

California is huge.... :P

California is huge.... :P

It is, but I found the parcoblatta in Bakersfield. Ive never found them here in southern Cali. I think all the good stuff is up in northern California. Lucky for me I go to San Jose every few months or so, maybe I can convince my girlfriend to take me bug hunting x] There are some calisoga sp. I want from up there too.

It is, but I found the parcoblatta in Bakersfield. Ive never found them here in southern Cali. I think all the good stuff is up in northern California. Lucky for me I go to San Jose every few months or so, maybe I can convince my girlfriend to take me bug hunting x] There are some calisoga sp. I want from up there too.

Yes, I suppose next time I'm up near there (for work), I'll look to collect some.