Maybe a stupid question RE isopods

FireDrake

I've wanted to start up more roach colonies, and currently have some dubias.... I have read that the addition of isopods can help keep a colony clean, even mold free? Anyways, been researching them and where to find them, and I realized something. Are they just those little garden bugs I collected as a kid, we called them rolly pollies..... the little dudes that roll up into balls? I've got tons of those things in my garden!

Thanks!

Pillbugs and sowbugs are both isopoda. Both can be found in your garden, under rocks, stumps, garbage cabs, basically anywhere damp. Pillbugs can roll up into a ball, they are the rolly-pollies. Sowbugs cannot roll into a ball but look basically the same and do the same thing for your tanks. I keep both in my tanks and although they don't keep it mold free they do help reduce it.

As bad as it sounds though...grain mites are the best at keeping a tank mold free, they are gross little critters but I their populations are kept under control they are actually really helpful. Springtails are another option but they are so-so...not to mention you need thousands of the nearly microscopic critters to do the job.

Springtails also rock if you have smallish predatory inverts to feed 'em to. ;)

Springtails also rock if you have smallish predatory inverts to feed 'em to. ;)

I have a dubia colony that I just started this month. I'm looking to feed my bearded dragons, and then possibly have some small business? who knows how well this will work.

I haven't had any mold problems to say, some oranges looking like they might have started.

What do "isopods" do to help? I don't know if spring tails are isopods... What exactly do they do...?

• 10 months later...

I use primarily springtails... They work great in small enclosures and if you can get a bunch of them growing in a bigger enclosure, they're probably the best mold/fungus/etc control out there.

Agreed. Although I do feel it's better to use them in conjunction with iso's or other cleanup crew.