Human illness. LOL

likebugs

My kid is in her first year of school and has had quite a few human viruses. I have been warned by other parents that kids get sick alot when they start school or daycare. <_<

So anyways my dad called and asked how everybody is doing and I told him that Estelle is sick again. I get a response that is so ignorant, that I am at a loss for words. "It is those bugs that are making her sick." :angry:

My kid doesn't even get those stomach illnesses that everyone else complains about, never has. Not so much as a squirt. :rolleyes:

I know that people can get salmonella from all kinds of creatures, but I am sure that my creatures have been contained, and only eat what I give them, I never feed them meat anyway. B)

Does anyone know of some documentation that states that insects don't go around giving people colds and flu. :lol: I don't bring my bugs all over the place and have only let a few people touch them anyway, not that it is hard to keep people away from them. :rolleyes:

I am not even going to ask if bugs are making my kid sick, as I am sure it is nonsense. I am just a bit angry that it has been mentioned to me, and need to vent. ;)

Edit: I was just thinking that this topic might not be in the right category, and don't know what to do about it even if it isn't.

Orin will chime in eventually, but until then, NO, you will not get sick from bugs, with the exceptions being bitten by biting insects (mosquitos, etc) or eating them... The latter of which I'm certain nobody does. :P

Orin will chime in eventually, but until then, NO, you will not get sick from bugs, with the exceptions being bitten by biting insects (mosquitos, etc) or eating them... The latter of which I'm certain nobody does. :P

It doesn't help much when we are being sent ads in the mail from Terminex with a beautiful photo of a roach stating that: "Roaches can pass salmonella and other illnesses to your family. Call us for our specials and prices."

They fail to mention that if you kept your kitchen counters clean, after handling raw meat, the roaches wouldn't get that on them, anyhow. <_< I don't believe they can give us something that didn't already come from us, or our habits. It would be nice to be able to show a document or two, to the unfortunately ignorant.

Ahh yes here comes the rest of the families opinion on your hobby.

I am from a Spanish family “Peruvian/Cuban” and let me tell you it is not out of line to say the Spanish hate roaches a lot more than any other culture in the world!!!

Short story.

My mom and aunt were driving my grandfather’s old truck back in 99. My dad and I were in a Volvo behind them. As we were approaching a red light, my mom and aunt simultaneously opened the car doors, and one ran west and the other east. The truck was left in drive and slowly made its way across the street onto a side walk and got stopped by a large oak tree no one was hurt.

When my dad asked my mom what happened she responded with “a huge flying roach came out of the air conditioner.”

That day ended with my dad having to drive the truck and my mom driving his Volvo.

@ Alex: Oh man! That is unfortunate. Until a couple of years ago I would have freaked out and fled, myself. But now it wouldn't be that bad.

I can still be quite startled by UFIs (unidentified flying insects) :lol: , if they land on me where I can't see them, or if something is crawling on me, and I don't know if it might be venomous, like a spider, or scorpion. :o:unsure: If I see it, it is all good, even if it is a spider or scorpion. I have done some studying lately. :D

I have a bad "twitch factor" when it comes to unexpected bugs on me. Today for instance, I was in my workshop trying to fix a watch and I felt something on my head...I brushed over my hair and felt nothing...moments later a stinkbug crawled off my head onto my earlobe. I swear I batted it all te way cross the shop before I even realized what was going on. I can only imagine how hard that will be to control once I get my honey bee colony later this month. Lol.

Roaches do not cause ashtma either. If so my youngest daughter who was five weeks earlier would be screwed. They thought she might possibly have ashtma. She does not, and now at 7 she is fine. If that were the case handling roaches would have def. aggravated the situation.