E. javanica death

recluse

Last night I discovered my largest E. javanica female dead. Next to her on a dead moist leaf already congregating were some white mites. I considered these to be harmless because there weren't too many and they didn't seem to be a pest. I have these in some of my other colonies as well. I assume they came from the dead leaves that I include as part of their substrate. I was really bummed as I only had three pairs of these and they are already one of my favorites. I still think it is probably due to old age and nothing to do with the mites. Either way I am going to change the substrate tonight. Anyone else have any insights. The temps during a 24 hour period were ranging from 68-93 dgs. natural variation in that room, moisture the same as always, the only difference was the type of dogfood I have been feeding them, if this were the case I would have deaths in my other colonies. Any thoughts or advice. Thanks.

Hans

Sorry for the loss! Did you get any babies from them? I have two pairs and they haven't produced yet. They may just have a long gestation period like the Madagascan hissers? I seem to have tiny white mights in some of my enclosures as well but they don't seem to be harmful at all. I noticed I get them from leaving food on the substrate, so I started using vial lids as a food "plate" and I don't see them as much anymore.

http://www.medicalne...ases/148211.php BTW my colony is breeding like crazy. Looks like every female is gravid. Sorry for your loss. Every dead roach stresses me out. Always up for trades worse case scenario. My E.javanica love oranges and they get sprayed one or two times a week and they stay around 82-86 degrees. Some mites are beneficial, dust mites are gross have a special locking trash bin for them yuck. Have had trouble with dogfood in the past mainly the roaches weren't interested so I've been switching back and forth with low protein fish food. Maybe when you switch the substrate there will be some babies? Hope so.

Last night I discovered my largest E. javanica female dead. Next to her on a dead moist leaf already congregating were some white mites. I considered these to be harmless because there weren't too many and they didn't seem to be a pest. I have these in some of my other colonies as well. I assume they came from the dead leaves that I include as part of their substrate. I was really bummed as I only had three pairs of these and they are already one of my favorites. I still think it is probably due to old age and nothing to do with the mites. Either way I am going to change the substrate tonight. Anyone else have any insights. The temps during a 24 hour period were ranging from 68-93 dgs. natural variation in that room, moisture the same as always, the only difference was the type of dogfood I have been feeding them, if this were the case I would have deaths in my other colonies. Any thoughts or advice. Thanks.

Hans

I have had dust mites before and these arent those. I have had the brown mites as well and dont have any in any of my cultures just the little white ones. I dont put food on the substrate I use milk jug lids. Mine do eat dogfood. They have not had babies yet and I have not witnessed any distended oothecae either. I know these like it hot and it is getting warm here, although the past few days have been cool. I am not very patient LOL, I want lots of babies now.

Hans