"Ninja" Roaches!

So, I woke up this morning and the first thing I did was check my roach bins. To my surprise there was a hisser nymph, about 3 weeks old, chilling on my dubia bin. I JUST re-petroleum jellied my hisser tank! I have NO clue how it got high enough in the tank to slip out of the lid. I chased it down and tossed it back in, and double checked my barrier, yep, still there! I have concluded that this nymph was a ninja. Does anyone else have ninja roach stories?

Try some Brown Banded roaches! They walk across barriers all the time. Had a male Therea escaped while cleaning , thankfully my wife thought he was a beetle and it didn't get me yelled at :D Watch out for those ninjas.

So, I woke up this morning and the first thing I did was check my roach bins. To my surprise there was a hisser nymph, about 3 weeks old, chilling on my dubia bin. I JUST re-petroleum jellied my hisser tank! I have NO clue how it got high enough in the tank to slip out of the lid. I chased it down and tossed it back in, and double checked my barrier, yep, still there! I have concluded that this nymph was a ninja. Does anyone else have ninja roach stories?

I love the less roachy roaches for that reason. My dad was talking to me last week while I was feeding my E. javanicas and he didn't know what they were. When I showed him my collection he was astonished. He said, "I thought you had bins and bins of just brown roaches! I had no idea they're so different!"

I have had my hisser colony for about 7 years now. I believe the nymphs can walk over vaseline because I have had more escapes of hissers than anything else. Now I keep all my hisser species with a very tight fitting lid and vaseline to prevent escapes while maintenance.

I find the occasional Pycnoscelus surinamensis in various places in my home, but they may be coming in from outdoors because I have seen them before I started keeping them. I believe that Surinam roaches are "all ninjas" anyway. :lol: