Arenivaga hunting in southern California

I've been thinking of this genus a lot lately, and with all the luck that our Florida friends have shared with us it got me itching to try to find them. This spot is located in Riverside California and it's about an hours drive away from Palm springs (the desert where I am assuming they are at). I remembered how sandy it was here and recalled they were only found in moist parts of the sand. A river runs through most this area so I assumed it was worth a shot since it is about a mile from my house and especially since I don't drive.

b7599e93.jpg

This is a picture of the hike in.

2dc061f5.jpg

Picture of what I can only assume is their habitat and full of Arenivaga x)

1e70558a.jpg

Just a neat picture of a palm tree that had a super tiny woodpecker in it.

Any ways my trip was cut shot due to not being being fully prepared. Also my spade broke because I got it from the 99cent store xD

When I did get a chance to dig it wasn't very moist because I didn't have a chance to hike closer to the river before sunset.

So what do you guys think about this spot? Any chance of them being here?

I've been looking around Redlands for Arenivaga investigata for a while not with no luck. Itd be cool to find out if there are some in socal at a reliable place.

How far down do you need to dig?

Looks very promising. I can get you a location to find Arenivaga investigata if you'd like. I know Cali's a big place but maybe it's near you. :)

That sounds good to me! I don't even know if this spot has any, so it's kind of a shot in the dark. Plus I don't even know if I'm searching right, if I went to your spot I would at least know they were there.

I've been looking around Redlands for Arenivaga investigata for a while not with no luck. Itd be cool to find out if there are some in socal at a reliable place.

How far down do you need to dig?

Redlands isn't far from me at all :0 where have you been looking in Redlands? I know at least a couple different types of habitats here to search for random things. I've never hunted in Redlands though.

Well our friends in Florida dug would find them 7-12in, they also pointed out that the sand seemed too compacted for them at about 2ft if I recall correctly.

Around 7 to 12 inches is right. We did find some a little deeper. Make sure the sand is clear and not mixed with dirt. The base of trees with clear sand will probably give you the best yields :). After talking with the local entomologist we learned that traps only seem to work for adult males ( flight intercept and light traps ), the best way to find nymphs and females is to dig and sift the sand, its a lot of work but it pays off.

How dare you live somewhere so cool! :P

I've heard they tend to hang out near tree/grass roots.

How dare you live somewhere so cool! :P

I've heard they tend to hang out near tree/grass roots.

That's where I checked :)

I need to get another spade before I go again though. It's so nice there, I wonder how many people hike in as far as I do.

Redlands isn't far from me at all :0 where have you been looking in Redlands? I know at least a couple different types of habitats here to search for random things. I've never hunted in Redlands though.

Well our friends in Florida dug would find them 7-12in, they also pointed out that the sand seemed too compacted for them at about 2ft if I recall correctly.

well i live near the santa ana wash so ive been looking in there.

Well I'm going to a spot in the desert this Saturday or Sunday that I suspect they are at. Then on Monday afternoon I and going back to the local spot to set some traps and to dig around :) so I hope I find some!

I'll totally help you look for some next time I'm down there. :)

• 4 months later...

I've caught some Arenivaga sp. in White Water Canyon just NW of Palm Springs. Putting down cover boards and checking them after a rain event worked for me....

I have since found some here in Riverside! I have also developed a very cool method to collect them. It's such a good one I don't really want to post it in fear of over collecting.

I will try out your method as well! What would you find? Adult males, adult females, sub adults, nymphs, or just a wide variety of them?

I collected mine just a few weeks ago (early November), most appeared to be nymphs of various sizes (a nice orange-brown color!) although there may be an adult female in the mix (don't know how big these are at maturity yet). No males under the cover boards, but I've had males come to my black lights in the spring and summer further south in the Coachella Valley. Did you get your Riverside specimens from the Santa Ana River area?

I collected mine just a few weeks ago (early November), most appeared to be nymphs of various sizes (a nice orange-brown color!) although there may be an adult female in the mix (don't know how big these are at maturity yet). No males under the cover boards, but I've had males come to my black lights in the spring and summer further south in the Coachella Valley. Did you get your Riverside specimens from the Santa Ana River area?

Very cool, one of my friends was with me on a hike around 10pm and he pointed a roach out to me which was a mature male. That's what prompted me to start digging. Surprisingly no I didn't find these along or near the Santa Ana River although I want to try finding them there too because it seems like such an ideal spot for them. There is water running through this spot though, I guess these were on the side of a hill maybe 20-30 feet away from running water.

I have found males in the Imperial Dunes on the surface beneath creosote bush. I think this thread marks a first in terms of somebody expressing concerns with over-collecting a cockroach! Do you have information on them having an at-risk population status?

I have found males in the Imperial Dunes on the surface beneath creosote bush. I think this thread marks a first in terms of somebody expressing concerns with over-collecting a cockroach! Do you have information on them having an at-risk population status?

Not at all! The method I used to find them was so quick and easy I could imagine over collecting happening very easily. Although maybe it was just a very lucky chance I had found them so easily. I haven't been able to go out and try it again though it has been incredibly windy here!