mixing species..........

Hey all!

I recently took two of my hissers into the local primary school and spoke about them to the kids as part of their bug week (basically they are taught about insects and all that for a week) and they liked them so much they have asked for some for a class display. I have quite a few now thanks to them breeding so that was no problem.

But they asked me one thing i was not sure about-- they asked if they could keep two different species toether. It turns out that one of the teachers neighbours has a colony of deaths head roaches and are willing to give some to the school-but the school will only allow one vivarium. So what do you think? are hissers and deaths heads compatable? the viv they have is <--->30inch across, ^v 12inch deep and from front to back is 12inch. Theres lots of climbing places and dark spots and has wood chip substrate like what i use for the hissers.

would they kill each other or would they get a long? personally id think against the idea, but would be good to hear others opinions. if they could be raised together it would look pretty good i think! Any help welcome!

Almost every tank I have has mixed specie of similar size and environmental needs. Male Hissers are slightly territorial but with a tank that size it won't be an issue.

ahh sounds good! Do you think there is a certain number of roaches that should be the maximum for that tank? there are 6 hissers in there- 2 adult the rest are sub adults, so would 6 deaths head roaches be an ok number to add? then it can grow from there? I said that i will take some if they breed and have too many so it can be controlled easy enough.

Its the first time they will have animals in a class room at that school- i want it to go well for them haha roaches having a war wouldnt look good i dont think! :P

My top tank has death heads, discoids, and dubia. It's a 20gallon long and I'd say there are 150-200 adults and loads of babies. They do just fine for me.