B. giganteus / G. portentosa questions! :-D

Kaddock

Hello!

I haven't been on in a while... :P

But, I now have two questions that I was hoping someone knows the answer to:

1: How do I sex Blaberus giganteus?

2: I was under the impression that Gromphadorhina portentosa only eject their eggs to dry the case and then hold them until they hatch... True? I recently seperated about a third of my culture in hopes of seeing some nymphs, as they've reached their "cap" for this cage size it seems. I just gave them a water refill, and noticed two egg cases laying on top of the silk leaves in the enclosure. Are these eggs done for? I was hoping they would produce nymphs after the move, not abort them! :mellow:

I don't think u will get any nymphs from the aborted ooths. I don't know of anyone that has had much luck, usually they turn yellow and dry out quickly.

Also I was under the assumption that all roaches were the sexed the same way, by the last abdominal segment. Large/wide being female and small/pointed being male.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think u will get any nymphs from the aborted ooths. I don't know of anyone that has had much luck, usually they turn yellow and dry out quickly.

Well... I got a healthy crop babies from the hisser ooths. Sweet.

Also I was under the assumption that all roaches were the sexed the same way, by the last abdominal segment. Large/wide being female and small/pointed being male.

I'd never really looked into sexing my roaches, so thanks for the information.

I do not think that sexing is limited to this method, however. For example, it's much easier to tell my G. portentosa apart by their more obvious features: the males have horns, hairy antennae, and a different look to them. I was just wondering if there were any features that were more obvious for the B. giganteus.

Surely someone here raises them?! I'll go ask on Mantid forum.

Nothing wrong with the last-segment method, right? Adult male Blaberus usually have thinner, more tapered abdomens overall, and their wings often reach farther past the abdomen than females'.

The last segment technique is what I do. I find that the differences in appearance of genders for some roach species can be subtle.

I find that to be sure on certain species' genders is to look at the last segments. My Eurycotis floridana males and females look very similar to eacher, at a glance. I still have to look at their rears from time to time, the last tergum,(dorsal segment)is shaped a little differently, but is easy to view.

My Blaberus species' males look like a little notch has been "bitten" off of the tips of their last ventral segments. I guess that is another way, but I haven't seen B. giganteus that closely.