Eucalyptus species ID

piscesilim

From my search of gum leaves for my rhino roaches, I found that leaf shape can vary greatly for tree to tree of same species. For example, Swamp mahogany trees near my place have 2 different shapes of leaves, the pack planted near town centre, and those just 10 mins drive away on the edge of a country park can look totally different. Apart from growing condition, age of the tree play a great role as well.

The best place to start is to find out what grow in the area where you collected the leaves, and then narrow it down from there.

Do they smell like gum leaf or lemon?

I have used 3 species of gum leaves which look like yours Eucalyptus tereticornis, Eucalyptus Cedar, and Eucalyptus globules, as well as Eucalyptus robusta, and Eucalyptus torelliana which have different looking leaves. But none of those have the same shape are as big as what you're showing in the pictures, their leaves are 3 - 4 inches long on average.

Apart from the leaves and flowers, the trunk is also an important clue. But as I said, check out local websites, or other info to figure out what gum trees grow in that area first, and narrow it down from there.

I ask about the smell since if it does smell like lemon, it could be Eucalyptus citriodora and it is definitely NOT SAFE.

My rhino roaches actually prefer Eucalyptus globules, and grass hay (for feeding turtle stuff) over any other leaves, mulch and actually, anything.