Hi

Thomas

Welcome Thomas, do you keep any animals currently? If you're interested in or raise cockroaches you've found the right place.

As far as roaches, I have about 10 hissers (which I am attempting to colonize), a number of discoidalis of various sizes, and about 8 Polyphaga aegyptiaca nymphs. I ordered about 15 Diploptera punctata and 30 Schultesia lampyridiformis nymphs yesterday, so those should be on the way by Wednesday. Aside from the roaches, I have 5 tarantulas, 5 snakes, 2 scorpions, a blue tongue skink, a ferret, and plenty of fish. :)

EDIT: oh, and I'm 14. Forgot to mention that in the OP

The firefly mimics are small but one of my favorite tiny cockroaches. Beware though, Vaseline barriers keep them from climbing but also can trap and kill the babies. It's a toss up though unless you want to use a completely sealed container.

I was actually remarking to my wife today how I find it commendable that so many young adults take the time to care for so many animals. It's uncommon to see this form of responsibility outside of the exotic animal world. (unless you raise domestic animals on a farm obviously)

The firefly mimics are small but one of my favorite tiny cockroaches. Beware though, Vaseline barriers keep them from climbing but also can trap and kill the babies. It's a toss up though unless you want to use a completely sealed container.

I was actually remarking to my wife today how I find it commendable that so many young adults take the time to care for so many animals. It's uncommon to see this form of responsibility outside of the exotic animal world. (unless you raise domestic animals on a farm obviously)

I heard of that with the nymphs dying from vaseline. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do about it, but I do have a completely sealed container for them. Still, it's a difficult decision. Any other tips about that?

Oh, and thank you :)

Sorry no tips really, I lose half my population to it. Luckily they have litters fairly often and at i2-3 they no longer get stuck.

Sounds good. I'll see if I can keep them contained without vaseline. It's a critter keeper deal, so I'm not sure. If that doesn't work, I can try using shrink wrap with holes in it to keep them away from the slits in the lid :)

Critter keepers seem far from secure for small climbing roaches. I use them for some small species from time to time but I hotglue microscreen over any opening and still use Vaseline.

Critter keepers seem far from secure for small climbing roaches. I use them for some small species from time to time but I hotglue microscreen over any opening and still use Vaseline.

I thought of the same and decided to use very fine window screen to allow airflow but stop the little buggers. Once they've grown and they're ready to breed, I'm going to do the same set up as my hissers in a big rubbermaid tub with the same fine window screen for ventilation. I'm glad I've decided to widen my horizons, but larger species sure are less of a hassle xD

EDIT: I've decided to use ice cream tubs with window screen for ventilation. My dad randomly suggested it and I was like ''HOLY CRAP THANKS DAD :D"

Hi Thomas and welcome! I used to keep the fireflies in a kritter keeper with a sheet of wax paper and sometimes aluminum foil between the lid and container. It works for a little while, but for whatever reason these firefly roaches always and eventually chew through. Few other roach species are that dedicated to escape.

Hi Thomas and welcome! I used to keep the fireflies in a kritter keeper with a sheet of wax paper and sometimes aluminum foil between the lid and container. It works for a little while, but for whatever reason these firefly roaches always and eventually chew through. Few other roach species are that dedicated to escape.

They seem to be doing fine so far. Only a few seem to be small enough to pose the threat of escape. If a few do, hey, at least I tried :P

The Diploptera punctata are the perfect size and have eared the title of my favorite roach, and I've only had them for about 30 minutes.

EDIT: Also, a little spider came in the same container as the firefly mimics. I have it in a container and I'm planning to feed it roach nymphs or crickets. How strange...

Yay for freebies, lol. Is it a funnel web type or cob web type of spider? Maybe one of the breeders tarantulas got loose and ended up there eh? :)

i wish it were a tarantula :/

ill try to find a picture of it, but it almost looks like a crab. small, and, now that i think about it, whipspider-like

• 2 years later...