How cold is too cold?

vfox

I've reduced my amount of heat lamps since last year to one per shelf and I was wondering...how cold is too cold? I'm not worried about breeding large volumes of babies I just want to keep them breeding at a slow but steady rate. Right now my house is 55-60F and the cages are around 65-70F. Do you think the species listed in my sig will still breed and produce enough replacements for die offs at these temps or no? I can't increase the lamps, it costs too much, I may just need a different method.

Most species do fine in the low to mid 70s. Basically though, if you have at least 10 adult females of a species on you, you're guaranteed a next generation.

That's what I was hoping but I'm a little concerned about delicate species like Panchlora nivea or Schultesia lampyridiformis. I have both near a lamp though. Once we turn on the furnace the house is about 64F so the tanks stay a slight bit warmer but that's not for another few weeks.

I have been worrying about the same problems, even if I live in S. Florida. It can get cold for a couple of weeks, mostly at night, but last winter we had a couple of spells that stayed in the low 40's during the daytime.

I will probably have to move my cultures into the main part of my house when it starts to get cool here. Now they are in the laundry room that isn't hooked up to the central air/heat, but that is great because I can keep it between 78 to 90(the rest of the year while I live at 68 to 75) by opening and closing the door, or the window in the door that connects to the main part of the house.

Maybe you could try temporarily moving the cultures to warmer parts of your home, near the heat source?

Edit: Sorry Vfox, I just reread your post and I see that you haven't got the furnace going yet. :mellow:

I am worried that I may have to run some extra heat sources this winter even if my cultures are moved. It is going to cost too much, if I have to do that, but I might. <_<

• 5 months later...

No idea if it'd be any cheaper, but I used heating pads with my roaches. You must be excessively careful with this, though, and use an old heating pad (ask your wife) because in looking up new heating pads to buy, I found that most of them have a 2 hour automatic shut-off and wiring problems that cause them to spontaneously combust. That being said, my heating pads were on 24/7 in my room with me all winter (and now) and are fine. Only problem I had was that I pulled out one of the heating pads that I bought from a thrift store, and part of it had melted very very slightly and took on a pinkish, purple tint--same color as the towel it was under. I can't remember if it was there before the experiment, though, and judging by the low severity of it, I'd say it's a possibility that it was a pre-existing issue.