dubia breeding issues

chris

so i seem to have issues breeding my dubia and im absolutly fed up with crickets

i bought 35 females and 10 males along with 1200 mixed i think its been about a month since ive heated them ive had them total for 2 months probly and i dont think ive had a single female lay eggs ive seen two dried eggsacs so i started misting everyday also it takes about 2 weeks for the large roachs after molt to get back to full color

i feed natural holistic dog food and oranges everyday water crystals are fresh always low temps are 79 highs of 98 and there in a bin with no light getting in normally at al

Sounds like you are doing it right to me... It does take awhile for them to settle in and start breeding, but you should get babies soon. (they are live bearers too) I noticed you said not a single female lay eggs, but I am sure you know they bear live young. Misting will help I am sure. They will start soon I bet! Try some Romaine Lettuce and carrots too.. I shred my carrots and they love it! :)

yeah id be suprised if they dident start releasing soon the females have ballon buts right now id assume there gravid im hoping they are because im fed up with crickets i spent two hours cleaning diarrhea up in my medium crickets because i gave them collards never will i go all out for those crickets again there getting no greens i know that... i had mounds of just decay and crap it was horrible i have my second bin sitting with 1200 medium larges hopefully they will be full breeding in the next 3 months

I hate crix which is why I am resorting to roaches, whether my mom approves or not lol

Crix mismolt on me a lot, they cannibalize, they can't go even a few days without food, they chirp at night, they drown too quickly in my toad cage, escape too easily, I could go on and on

And my dubias in their non prolific state still haven't been this much trouble...

Dubia's breed slow at first, it sounds like you're doing it right. My colony exploded on me after 4 months and I removed their heat and culled 75% of them. Now I have a small 100-150 specimen self sustaining colony, just like my hissers. :)

I don't often feed off my dubia though, they are just nifty pets. Lats are better feeders IMHO.

Lat hybrids? I don't think lateralis can hybridize with anything in the hobby.

maybe theres some rounder dubia strains than because there seems to be two kinds the egg shaped/circular ones and the longer dubia

also i believe a female poped out some babies lastnight i see a ton of little roachs flying around in there and the entire bowl of water crystals was flatout dry in one night :o also the medium tub seems to be a alot heavier im going to buy a scale and start weighting in my tubs and keep track by that for now on of course also by look i can monitor sheds and progress in size morph

maybe theres some rounder dubia strains than because there seems to be two kinds the egg shaped/circular ones and the longer dubia

also i believe a female poped out some babies lastnight i see a ton of little roachs flying around in there and the entire bowl of water crystals was flatout dry in one night :o also the medium tub seems to be a alot heavier im going to buy a scale and start weighting in my tubs and keep track by that for now on of course also by look i can monitor sheds and progress in size morph

They come in all sorts of odd shapes honestly; they are even like that within the same gene pool/colony. Colors also vary greatly with them, some showing nearly black coloration while others are almost tan...with everything (including the normal coloration) in between.