Unusual pattern on Madagascar Hisser

I found this guy in my tank of G.portentosa and (possibly) G.oblongonata roaches and I just don't know what to make of him. I don't know if he just hasn't completed hardening after a molt or what. Part of his "armor" looks chipped at the edges. Any thoughts?

He got some bites taken out of the edges of his abdomen. If they suffer any injuries right after a molt, they often don't color and sometimes sclerotize fully (I'm not sure exactly why). Aside from making this instar a little longer due to the extra growth he'll need to do to fix it, there shouldn't be any long-term effects.

I have a now-adult female who was bitten like this, but on the metathorax, when she was presub; apparently that area looked just as yummy for her subsequent molts because instead of getting repaired, the damaged area grew slightly. It's mostly just a cosmetic thing although this female is significantly shyer and more skittish than the others (maybe it still hurts a bit). I've had others with the same injuries who pick less conspicuous molting spots and do fine, though.

:( That's unexpected...