Dubia nymph question about growth

Keith

I have older dubia nymphs, and last molt I was finally able to see a difference in gender, males had the elongated wing buds and females did not. I thought I had read only sub adult nymphs have this. One of my male nymphs shed and I was expecting to see a mature adult male emerge, but instead he only became a larger nymph, his body is now larger than his fathers and he isnt sn adult yet! Do male nymphs have 2 instars with pronounced wing buds usually?

i find with my lobster roaches the subadults and adults r the same size

in mantises, their descendants, subs have the most pronounced wingbuds but they really start enlarging at presubadult stage

I was looking into this and it seems they have 2 instars with wing pads, so the one that shed is now a sub-adult. I do predict mine will be huge though as this male nymph is larger than both his mother and father now! I can't wait till they all mature to see if my observation is true.

• 2 weeks later...

That's great how big they are!

Presub nymphs can have fairly prominent wing buds, I've been tricked by my Parcoblatta and Archimandrita as well as some mantids.

• 1 month later...

I've been having some mature, both male and female adults are huge! I have one male longer and almost as wide as a female he is the boss of all his brothers. The males are very bulky and strong! The females are all dark but some have a few yellow specks here and there, which is funny because there mom has lots of reds,oranges, and yellows all over her body.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my nymphs can reach the size of a new adult. But my fully grown adults are huge. Some over 2 inches, I wanna take pictures but they won't be still when I hold them. So while they were on my finger I noticed how much of my finger they covered and measured it.

Larger than 1.8 inches (like wikipedia says) for sure.

My largest adults are massive.

I do have some smaller ones, that aren't as fat and long, probably just molted from nymph stage.