cleaning the colony

Posted by Allison on 1/19/2005, 1:19 pm

Hi I've recently started producing Blaberus roaches for herp food. They are housed in a glass terrarium with a line of Vaseline around the tank top to keep them where they belong. The colony is established and productive. I really need to clean out the colony but need advice on how to separate roach nymphs and eggs from the old substrate (wood shavings) without having them swarm all over me, the house, etc. Should I stop using substrate in future and just give them egg crates and tp rolls for shelter? Thanks for any help!

Allison_Banks@nps.gov

Posted by Allison on 1/21/2005, 2:53 pm, in reply to "Re: cleaning the colony"

Wow, thank you so much! I didn't realize the "egg cases" didn't really exist. Shows you how little I know about these guys. I actually have some pillbugs, so I will transfer them into the tank to feed on frass. I was using the vaseline to keep climbers from escaping the tank...am I misunderstanding you here? They don't cross the line, and my 2nd container will have to be plastic that I know they will climb out of. Again, thank you very much for your help.

Posted by Digby Rigby on 1/21/2005, 5:49 pm, in reply to "Re: cleaning the colony"

Hello Again Allison,

You mentioned you were raising roaches of the genus Blaberus. Roaches of the genus Blaberus i.e. B fusca and B discoidales are live bearing. A female will evert the egg case to turn it around after it is formed to incubate inside her. Thus the babies are born live. If you see egg cases from the genus Blaberus laying about the enclosure they are no good. Also roaches from the genus Blaberus are one of the non glass climbing species thus vaseline use is superfluous.

Having said that are you sure you have Blaberus if so what species post a picture of them.

Digby Rigby

Link: http://exoticfeeders.com/