Megaloblatta Rearing Info....

Gsc

I recently recieved an email from a friend and we began discussing Megaloblatta. SUPER rarely offered roaches that are reportedly very hard to keep alive. You read horror stories of people purchasing these only to have them die.

I hear they come from high up in the rainforest canopy... SOMETHING had to be missing in their captive husbantry requirements.

The gentleman brought up some new ideas for me to kick around... this was part of his email (I hope he doesn't mind- I appreciate the info/ideas)...It's resparked my interest in the species

"Megaloblatta are reported to die easily because they are not fed the correct foods. They require boiled decaying wood laced with a very tiny amount of honey. A little exotic but apparantly it works. The nymphs in particular are nectar feeders and most keepers seem to use animal foods and veggies. Its like feeding dogfood to butterflies. That and they live in moist areas during the day and forage at night, so humidity needs to be high."

does anyone have any other ideas about the species... I thought that spome of the Eyelash Gecko/ Day Gecko diets might work to help supplement a varied diet...

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Graham,

I currently use the Crested Geckos (and other Rhacodactylus diets) to feed my roach colonies (Dominos, B. dubia, lateralis, E. decipiens). They love the stuff and you can feed it wet or dry. Here are the ingredients of the 'standard' Crested gecko diet:

(Calcium caseinate, banana powder, honey powder, Hempola hempseed meal, bee pollen, alfalfa leaf meal, defatted wheat germ meal, brewers yeast, fig powder, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, yeast culture, spirulina algae, rosehips powder, kelp meal, haemotococcus algae, marigold extract, rosemary extract, yucca extract, natural mixed tocopherols (as a preservative), vitamin A acetate, d-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried lactobacillus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium thermophilum fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product and dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product.)

it might be worth a try!

Nicole Chaney

www.stickytoegecko.com