Sign in to follow this  
Keith

Roaches eat bird droppings?

I read somewhere father hissing cockroaches in the wild eat bird droppings to give precious nitrogen to there young. Is this true, and any way to replicate, what about bird droppings?

http://books.google.com/books?id=R7eVRP08kasC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=cockroach+bird+droppings+nitrogen&source=bl&ots=8Zfv9nMMwx&sig=F0i-n4sGFERBVLD3SIW5wiWO8Uk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MOYuUbzPA9GH0QGVyYHwBw&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA

I gave then leaves with bird droppings on them and the nymph roaches really liked it and hissers. What I read must be true. I'll only give it once in a while even in the wild it's only eaten sometimes.

I have some finches whose waste i divide up between my cave dwelling roaches when i clean the birds cage. I have a couple different hissers with nymphs i will have to try them on it as well.

My roaches have had no ill effects from eating it, they seemed healthier after infact. Have no babies yet so cant see if the male actually feeds it to the young.

I think its without ill-effects as long as its defecated by a domesticated/vet-checked bird.

Wild droppings carry the potential for parasites moreso then a disease.

hmm trying to think who do i know has birds that shit

hmm trying to think who do i know has birds that shit

All birds do it, ALOT! LOL. :D It is one of the pain in the butt things about keeping birds, besides the noise that large hookbills make.

Birds can carry plenty of parasites. Make sure that you get the feces from a healthy source and not birds that are kept outdoors often.

Obviously an old post, but I raise pigeons. When I clean the floors there are always a few Pennsylvania wood roaches under the feathers and dried droppings. They really love to hang out under the nest bowls.

In the spring I would find them at night in the feeders. Eating grain dust perhaps? I feed the pigeons whole grains. I wouldn't guess they would eat the peas, corn and wheat. I used to see them them as pests, but now that I have discovered the world of pet roaches they now get a pardon lol