Blaberus giganteus Pronotum

Could you post a picture? From what it sounds like you have a giganteus with no black on the pronotum! :o

Thanks Kyle. I got them from Peter. Sorry about the description because it sounds that way! The pronotum is a large black dot except for a red smiley face minus the eyes and nose. It just has the mouth. It this normal? Most don't have this but a few do. I can't post a picture now because the roaches are not with me. Probably not a big deal. Just thought I would see if it was.

I have seen B. giganteus populations that have the half-faced "grin" as well. I had some that I received from Barney at Hatari Invertebrates. Many populations lack the pronotal markings all together while some have a blended ratio between the two. There's a possibility that the two types may have originated from different regions in South America. The "grin" is likely a dominant trait since it is strongly exhibited by most members within the Giganteus species complex.

I have seen B. giganteus populations that have the half-faced "grin" as well. I had some that I received from Barney at Hatari Invertebrates. Many populations lack the pronotal markings all together while some have a blended ratio between the two. There's a possibility that the two types may have originated from different regions in South America. The "grin" is likely a dominant trait since it is strongly exhibited by most members within the Giganteus species complex.

Thanks! Great info.

So... Ever get pics of them? I'm dying to see what they look like! :P

Oh, sorry. I am so swamped with work. I am going to put it on the calendar so I remember to do it. I hope you are not disappointed. It is just a normal Blaberus giganteus with a black pronotum dot that has a little red smile in the middle.

Here you go. These are all Blaberus giganteus. I bought the stock as 3 nymphs from Peter at www.bugsincyberspace.com in March, 2011. In the picture to the left you can see the smile. In the middle picture you can see the smile, the red dot and one with no red mark of any kind. On the right picture you can see the smile and a red dot (the flash obscured the red). As I said before, I'm not sure that the "smile" on a Blaberus giganteus is really that big of a deal.

post-2543-0-75889300-1351897359_thumb.jpg

post-2543-0-92079000-1351897397_thumb.jpg

post-2543-0-74343900-1351897403_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Here you go. These are all Blaberus giganteus. I bought the stock as 3 nymphs from Peter at www.bugsincyberspace.com in March, 2011. In the picture to the left you can see the smile. In the middle picture you can see the smile, the red dot and one with no red mark of any kind. On the right picture you can see the smile and a red dot (the flash obscured the red). As I said before, I'm not sure that the "smile" on a Blaberus giganteus is really that big of a deal.

Beautiful.

They are really pretty. They look like Discoid, exept the body is wider.