B. giganteus wings not expanding

Pulk

Nymphs seem healthy, adults seem healthy (so far no deaths after molting), and exiting the old exo goes fine. But afterward, most of the adults have mild to serious problems with the folded wings expanding. The inner wings tend to be much worse than the outer ones. I just added a completely vertical surface for them to use, but it seems like the steeply angled egg cartons offer them equivalent or similar surfaces. High humidity didn't seem to help.

Possibly relatedly, these new adults are a little smaller than my first ones, which I only raised through their last few molts. They're getting oranges and high protein cat food. Any ideas/suggestions for either problem, maybe something to add to their diet?

These are the two worst ones; the others have mostly expanded/normal outer wings.

badultsm.jpg

I use repti bark for substrate, and mist it with water once a day, never had a shedding issue.

There is lots of foods they can eat with the oranges and cat food. Apples, banana, romaine lettuce, fresh spinach leaves, cooked beef, white bread, banana apple beef turkey baby foods, baby iguana pellets, and dry oak leaves rotting birch or oak bark.

The molting surface is important and egg carton is not adequate but I've never seen wings like that. Maybe switch to dog food and apple.

The egg cartons are at a 60* angle and have space on the sides, so they can molt essentially vertically, it's just a little awkward.

Any particular reason for dog food or apple, other than that they work well for people?

You need some vertical space with larger flat surface area for them to find easily. They need space to hold on to, come out, and hang there for a while. Egg cartons just won't cut it, IMHO.

The egg cartons are at a 60* angle and have space on the sides, so they can molt essentially vertically, it's just a little awkward.

Any particular reason for dog food or apple, other than that they work well for people?

• 2 weeks later...