Why Are My Shelfordellas Trying to Eat Me??

MantisMan

Sounds like they are hungry, they need a mixed diet.

Cat or dog kibble, fruit like apples, bananas, oranges, romaine lettuce, white bread.

Also source of water, I mist water with a spray bottle.

i give them plenty of fruits and veggies as well as bug burger and they have wet soil in the bin

Just hungry. My Eurycotis floridana did it sometimes. Try feeding them more with a couple of different and new foods thrown in. Fish food is appreciated by all of my omnivores.

ik the fish food thing, my roaches went through a can of it in 5 weeks :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like they are hungry, they need a mixed diet.

Cat or dog kibble, fruit like apples, bananas, oranges, romaine lettuce, white bread.

Also source of water, I mist water with a spray bottle.

Yes they are hungry - my roaches do not do it ;)

sometimes i give mine blue buffalo cat food or friskys,purina one puppy chow ,turtle pellets and box turtle food and left over deer meats(without salt or butter).bug burger also works well,i find orgeans, bannas, strawberrys and apples work well as a blanced diet .salad is good and good way to give them water.you can also give them patoes slices, pineapple , and thing like cheerios, mini weats, frosted flakes,as treat foods.they seem to like that.fried okra eh there is not much that is bad for them.just never give the coconuts, peanutbutter, or beer or something like that.

For the dry cat food I have a trick.

I take it and wrap it in a paper towel, then I hit it with a hammer until its powder. I then put it in a cup and add water till its a paste consistency, then add fruit baby food. Perfect food for roaches.

• 2 weeks later...

thats funny that they are biting you.

the colony I have is very bold (im sure its the same for everyones). they always climb onto my hand ,dont run and hide when I open the bins

they are totally ravenous. when it comes to food they eat everything in site, and swarm.

ive also noticed they like to pull the food away and hide it .always thought that was kinda funny a little roach trying to pull away a piece of dog chow.

Keith if you wanna try bug burger and are going to be at the long island reptile expo ill bring a sample for you

our table is right in the front when you walk in.

thats funny that they are biting you.

the colony I have is very bold (im sure its the same for everyones). they always climb onto my hand ,dont run and hide when I open the bins

they are totally ravenous. when it comes to food they eat everything in site, and swarm.

ive also noticed they like to pull the food away and hide it .always thought that was kinda funny a little roach trying to pull away a piece of dog chow.

Keith if you wanna try bug burger and are going to be at the long island reptile expo ill bring a sample for you

our table is right in the front when you walk in.

I'll have to see. If your interested I have a few of my female dubia from my "color experiment" I can give you if you want for free, I inbred them so hopefully the pregnant females birth light colored babies. I got one female who is amazing colored she would be a very cool pet because her color is so unique I can post pics soon.

thank you I wouldnt mind giving them a shot I have some really nice males to pair them with (we are very selective with the males we put in the breeder bins)

cant wait to see the pics

ill have to post picks when they get here but we just ordered some L. subcincta and Eublaberus sp(ivory) from Nick Boehme he gave us a good deal to get them started

thank you I wouldnt mind giving them a shot I have some really nice males to pair them with (we are very selective with the males we put in the breeder bins)

cant wait to see the pics

ill have to post picks when they get here but we just ordered some L. subcincta and Eublaberus sp(ivory) from Nick Boehme he gave us a good deal to get them started

Great, ill keep you updated as it gets closer!