Hisser maternity micro-vivarium

RaZias

I still don´t have hisser babies but I had 3 that were sent by the seller.

Only one of them is alive.

I think a 80 Liters tank is maybe big to them and they won´t find food easily, sometimes they are hidden under the substrate of the opposite side of the vivarium.

If I had a micro-vivarium to put all babies would that reduce the deaths ?

I wonder if I should put the mother in there with them...

That's not too big.

Mom and adults should be with them, babies eat feces of adults to get digestive enzymes, I guess like how moms milk in mammals provides immune support and nutrients. Without these roaches aren't as healthy.

I suggest trying apples, bananas, cat food, and romaine lettuce, those are my hissers favorites.

I raised hissers in a 20 gallon long aquarium tank and they had no trouble finding food, they eat at night in the dark.

That's not too big.

Mom and adults should be with them, babies eat feces of adults to get digestive enzymes, I guess like how moms milk in mammals provides immune support and nutrients. Without these roaches aren't as healthy.

I suggest trying apples, bananas, cat food, and romaine lettuce, those are my hissers favorites.

I raised hissers in a 20 gallon long aquarium tank and they had no trouble finding food, they eat at night in the dark.

Keith, how do you know so much stuff about roaches ?

You sound like an expert, have you read any special book about them ?

I've raised hisser nymphs both with and apart from the mother. She guards and actively feeds them for a few days after birth, but after that, in my experience, they do fine without her. Although I haven't seen it, I wouldn't doubt that baby hissers eat the adult's frass; that's most important in Cryptocercids since they primarily eat wood and can't live without the gut bacteria.

The only real danger in keeping the nymph with the adults is that one of them will bite it when it molts, and that's quite unlikely (especially in a large enclosure where it may separate itself from the group to molt). Roach nymphs actually grow faster when they have regular social contact.

I've raised hisser nymphs both with and apart from the mother. She guards and actively feeds them for a few days after birth, but after that, in my experience, they do fine without her. Although I haven't seen it, I wouldn't doubt that baby hissers eat the adult's frass; that's most important in Cryptocercids since they primarily eat wood and can't live without the gut bacteria.

The only real danger in keeping the nymph with the adults is that one of them will bite it when it molts, and that's quite unlikely (especially in a large enclosure where it may separate itself from the group to molt). Roach nymphs actually grow faster when they have regular social contact.

Wild hissers eat wood and decaying matter.