Need pictures of Parcoblatta species

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great nymph pics!

I'm trying to decide if I want to stick the oothecae in another container for a "cleaner" colony, and whether to separate the species. Looking so far, though, I haven't seen any matching the P. bolliana oothecae description, nor the females with an ootheca in tow.

Great nymph pics!

I'm trying to decide if I want to stick the oothecae in another container for a "cleaner" colony, and whether to separate the species. Looking so far, though, I haven't seen any matching the P. bolliana oothecae description, nor the females with an ootheca in tow.

I've had bollianas eating their oothecae so I had to move the oothe to another container whenever I saw one. So I would advise you to do the same.

Interesting, thanks for that observation. I have a spare container that I'll move them to.

I have noticed, when collecting roaches, that they are usually found in small numbers. That must play a part in it.

Update on the female. Seems like she was a pre-sub after all. She did not grow much.

Probably sub-adult now.

Last night.

6845203_orig.jpg

This night (right now).

1922619_orig.jpg

Parcoblatta uhleriana. Oothecae and nymphs. One L1 and the other I guess is L2.

8943869_orig.jpg

655461_orig.jpg

The same ?L2? one

5887423_orig.jpg

Oothecae

8213637_orig.jpg

I am a bit worried about my P. bolliana. I have had some hatch but no more have hatched yet and the nymphs that hatched disappeared. They were in a container with oak sawdust and oak leaves. I looked through the sawdust (or wood thin wood chips) and could not find anything but the other nymphs that hatched, probably the maybe caudelli.

That possible sub-adult female that I thought might be a caudelli I am now thinking it is something else. The maybe caudelli sub-adults had a different pattern. This possible sub-adult has a pattern like the Red Runner Roaches. It is also bigger than the adult maybe caudelli. It might be P. lata. I have read that they are big. It is growing slowly compared to the other Parcoblatta.

I am a bit worried about my P. bolliana. I have had some hatch but no more have hatched yet and the nymphs that hatched disappeared. They were in a container with oak sawdust and oak leaves. I looked through the sawdust (or wood thin wood chips) and could not find anything but the other nymphs that hatched, probably the maybe caudelli.

That possible sub-adult female that I thought might be a caudelli I am now thinking it is something else. The maybe caudelli sub-adults had a different pattern. This possible sub-adult has a pattern like the Red Runner Roaches. It is also bigger than the adult maybe caudelli. It might be P. lata. I have read that they are big. It is growing slowly compared to the other Parcoblatta.

Sorry to hear what happened to uhleriana nymphs. Hope the remaining oothe hatch out soon.

Now that you mention it, I think your female might not even be in genus Parcoblatta as the 10th tergum on your specimen looks different from my specimens. Try letting it climb on glass. If it does climb smooth surfaces, it will definitely be in different genus.

Sorry to hear what happened to uhleriana nymphs. Hope the remaining oothe hatch out soon.

Oh, no I was talking about the P. bolliana not uhleriana. Yes, the female cannot climb smooth surfaces. She cannot even get a grip, like my Shelfordella lateralis. I do not know where I caught her. I do not remember moving Shelfordella lateralis into containers like that.

Oh, no I was talking about the P. bolliana not uhleriana. Yes, the female cannot climb smooth surfaces. She cannot even get a grip, like my Shelfordella lateralis. I do not know where I caught her. I do not remember moving Shelfordella lateralis into containers like that.

Ah...bollianas. Their eggs seem to take forever to hatch as both mine and Kyle's oothe took long time to hatch. Also, their nymphs burrow a lot so it's quite hard to spot them in the cage. Maybe they were hiding in the wood chips and you missed them while you were looking through the substrates?

I wonder what species that red roach will turn into.

I am very curious about that roach too. Yay, then the bolliana might hatch. The P. bolliana's substrate is thin and I looked carefully. It is as if most of them are gone (only a few I find). Yes, maybe I miss most of them. Now I think they are hiding well because I have found more than I used to when I looked through them.

The female died... :( The other day her right antenna broke and today I found her dead. I think she was Shelfordella lateralis.

Shelfordella lateralis picture from bugguide.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/758518/bgimage

Pictures of her I took just now. I cannot understand how I could just put a Red Runner in the container and forget about it. Maybe I did catch her outside? I have not caught anything like this close to our house where I keep Shelfordella lateralis.

9129403_orig.jpg

6870118_orig.jpg

2456891_orig.jpg

4362151_orig.jpg

7892429_orig.jpg

4898472_orig.jpg

Substrate looks way to dry when you touch it your fingers should be moist, the leaves and bark should be moist too. They like fruit like apple and banana and they like romaine lettuce and cat or dog food. But main diet is dead leaves and bark other stuff is like treats to them.

Substrate looks way to dry when you touch it your fingers should be moist, the leaves and bark should be moist too. They like fruit like apple and banana and they like romaine lettuce and cat or dog food. But main diet is dead leaves and bark other stuff is like treats to them.

Thanks for the tip though not all of the infos here are necessary.

• 2 weeks later...