watering

sss81387

So I have my dubia colony up and running and it seems to be doing just fine. Even got some baby nymphs already. I've been watering with fresh veggies and fruit at least everyother day and I can't seem to give them enough. I also have one of those reptile waterers where u fill up the reserve and it has the cricket guard to prevent drownings. In the water bowl part I have a natural sponge like are popular with hermit crabs and a small piece of slate resting on it so even the smallest roach has no problem accessing it. I've noticed that they have eaten some holes in the sponge. This doesn't concern me as I can buy replacements cheaply at my local herp store. The only question I have is it safe for the roaches and the herps I'm feeding them to that they're eating this? I don't see why it wouldn't be, but better safe than sorry! I know many advocate water crystals, but I loathe them, so id like to keep up with my current system if its safe. Thanks!

Natural sponge.. so that means a calcium carbonate or silica spicules that they're munching on. They're unlikely to be bothered by a little calcium, though silica is used as a natural or "safe" insecticide as it literally tears up the insect epicuticle. Fore and hind gut are lined with cuticle.. Though there are some that are soft and have no spicules.

So maybe it will hurt the roaches and maybe it won't, maybe amount matters more depending on what you're using. It shouldn't harm herps, though.

Is there a sure fire way of telling which type of sponge I'm getting? If its calcium based I'm sure that would be excellent for my herps, but I wouldn't want to risk the collapse of my colony if its silica. They've been in a month with the sponge and haven't eaten too much, but there have been a few random dead nymphs in that month (~8) and now I'm wondering about it. Any experience on how a synthetic sponge would hold up? I'm not even going to try cellulose as I have seen in my kitchen how quickly a constantly wet cellulose sponge gets moldy and dank. Again thanks for the help. I've not done potatos, but they get tons of other veggies. The water is more gor humidity and to be there should I not be able to be home to add veggies and fruit and they only have dry food.

Is the sponge a bath sponge? Very soft? If so, no spicules. Some people do use rocks/gravel. I've also seen what is called "hydrate stones", which I suspect may be hard sponge but havn't had a look at them to see.

If you're ventilation is ok, you can also mist down the tub lightly once a day to every couple of days. Roaches seem to like drinking water drops.

Watch the brassicals and spinach use if you're feeding out of the colony. The plants contain compounds that cause herps issues.