My New Male G. portentosa

Blattodea313

I couldn't figure out how to actually post the picture, so here is a link to the enclosure: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oa0jqgo7ftpbb3t/IMG_0580.JPG

This picture is of the setup before I put the roaches in it. The roaches don't seem to bother the plants, so everything looks the same now as in the image.

I always wished a zoo or aquarium made a walk in roach display. If anyone has ever been in those butterfly exhibits you'll know what I'm talking about. Its warm and humid like a tropical rainforest, all kinds of exotic plants and trees growing and flowers, soil and mulch for substrate. Why not just add some tree logs rotting and hissing cockroaches could live in this cage free environment. They can spread plates of food around that get changed daily for them to eat, and the water mist provides hydration. Like a natural setup. The size of a bedroom or two is perfect.

Interesting idea, but the cockroaches would probably get on the walkway, and the people would step on them. Or, the cockroaches would just hide in the logs and no one would ever see them. They had an exhibit at one zoo where you could put your head up through a bubble thing in the middle of the enclosure and see the cockroaches. It's not the same effect though.