random hisser death

rockpython

Good day everyone,

I have a had a few deaths. 2 adults which were original so they MAY have been old. But I have had 1 nymph death and 1 on the verge for a few days. That one has been put into quarenteen and it tends to keep on its back. Food is strawberries, romain, shredded wheat, and fish food. Water comes in the form of flukers cricket water (which I've never seen them use) they are in a cool basement with a 250 watt red lamp in a 55 gal. Aquarium on coco fiber and reptibark. Same food and temperature for my dubias and they are thriving. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

RockyP

I would keep a damp paper towel in the enclosure instead of water crystals. I have been using water crystals for a long time, but like you I have never seen them actually drink/eat them. I have, however, witnessed them drinking off of a damp paper towel. I had an adult the other day that kept falling on his back over and over. I finally moved him back into his old enclosure that has a less "loose" substrate. I think it is the coco fibre because it is very loose and they can't get a grip on it to turn them self over. Thats just my guess.

Oh, by the way I think you are the one who made the 55 gallon display cage? Did the adults run around frantically when you moved them into the enclosure?

I would keep a damp paper towel in the enclosure instead of water crystals. I have been using water crystals for a long time, but like you I have never seen them actually drink/eat them. I have, however, witnessed them drinking off of a damp paper towel. I had an adult the other day that kept falling on his back over and over. I finally moved him back into his old enclosure that has a less "loose" substrate. I think it is the coco fibre because it is very loose and they can't get a grip on it to turn them self over. Thats just my guess.

Oh, by the way I think you are the one who made the 55 gallon display cage? Did the adults run around frantically when you moved them into the enclosure?

Thank you both. When I put my hissers in the cage, they burrowed and I would see them every morning before the lights came on... but then I almost never saw them...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I have the same problem, It seems like one a week, I find a dead roach or two.

I have them housed in a glass aquarium with a metal mesh lid. On top of the lid there is a towel, and a flat piece of plastic. I keep these things on top to keep the heat in. There is an under-the-tank heater which keeps the ambient temp at about 75 degrees F.

There is shredded birch substrate, egg crates, paper towel tubes, a dish of water (with stones in it to allow for roaches to escape if they fall in), and a dish for food. I feed them a blended mix of organic dog food,oats, and fish flakes.

Any opinions?

• 2 weeks later...

No it generally sounds like you're feeding them good. Do you give them fruit at all. If so, it's good to remove the peel first to get rid of any pesticide. Also, the fruit needs to be changed daily or ethelyn gas will be released as it ripens which is toxic. How are they fairing now?

• 3 months later...

I second the moist paper towel idea. I was experiencing a lot of random deaths a couple months back. I was using water crystals and after reading this I switched to paper towels in a petri dish. Now there's no more random deaths and my nymphs are growing faster.