Simandoa conserfariam

Got these from Orin a few months ago, really beautiful species;

nymph

post-3283-0-13694000-1399178576_thumb.jpg

adult

post-3283-0-97906600-1399178641_thumb.jpg

They were described as a burrowing species which live deep under bat guano, but they seldom burrow into coco fiber substrate (maybe they don't like the substrate lol) which make them a good display species (at least in my case)

It is strange that they maybe extinct in the wild since it's really a badass, When I first received them I opened the deli cup without a second thought, expecting to see a burrowing species as mellow and slow as some others, and ended up with half a dozen frenzy and teleporting roaches in my room! It makes German and American roaches look retard (I have big colonies of both). They are skittish, lighting fast when provoked and great climbers, vaseline barrier won't stop them when they've gone crazy. Later I found that they're chewing the ventilation holes and almost made it large enough to escape; I moved them to a more secure container then.

This is a species with distinct character and beautiful appearance, now it's one of my favorite species

Thanks for sharing. Mine molted out as adults a moth or so ago. I would attest to all of the characteristics you mentioned above. I have seen the males and females mating. My females look plump so I am hoping for babies. Do you have babies yet? What is your enclosure like? Anybody else have any info on husbandry? Anyone know how many babies they have at a time? :)

Thanks for sharing. Mine molted out as adults a moth or so ago. I would attest to all of the characteristics you mentioned above. I have seen the males and females mating. My females look plump so I am hoping for babies. Do you have babies yet? What is your enclosure like? Anybody else have any info on husbandry? Anyone know how many babies they have at a time? :)

I don't have babies yet, I'm also expecting some! My enclosure is just like any other standard roach set up, with moisture coco substrate, leaf litter and rotten wood. I use vaseline and mineral oil mixture as barrier, it don't really stop them but they prefer to stay on the ground after settled down.

I don't have babies yet, I'm also expecting some! My enclosure is just like any other standard roach set up, with moisture coco substrate, leaf litter and rotten wood. I use vaseline and mineral oil mixture as barrier, it don't really stop them but they prefer to stay on the ground after settled down.

Cool. I have a cork bark slab laying flat on the substrate. They love to hid under it. I also have a a lot of rotten leaves and some rotten wood with roly polys. I keep 75% of the substrate moist and 25% dry at 75 F. Mine also do not tunnel into the substrate.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

How are everyone's colonies doing? I'm getting a few individuals soon, so I'm hoping they'll breed well for me and I can get my own colony going!

Geez, sounds like they've done really well for you, Orin! I'll have to pick some up from you to mix up the gene pool a bit (and maybe pick up some isopods too if you still have a bunch of species in stock).

Same isos doing well but no luck on getting the cool new ones I see pictured from time to time.

Well I've only got a couple species, so I wouldn't mind expanding a bit :) And I agree with MrCrackerpants on seeing some links!

Wow, that P. expansus is crazy! It would be neat to get those in the hobby. I'm guessing only people in Europe have them now?