RomanBuck

American roach care and breeding

So I know this is a silly question to ask but I have terrible luck I guess as I can't breed Turkestan roaches for the life of me..

But I'm most likely going to get some american roaches here in the near future and I want to be prepared.

What works with breeding them?

High humidity?

High temps?

How many could I have (comfortably) in a one gallon pickle jar or a large peanut jar?

Also who here breeds them?

Any videos?

To be safe keep the humidity in the middle. Larger the container the better probably (peanut butter jar sounds very small). Keep a moist substrate, it might help the oothecae. As far as temperature, the hotter you keep them the quicker they will breed and grow. But do not keep them in the sunlight. I have killed many roaches by keeping them in the sunlight in a room.

How about a 2.5 gallon terrarium that has a glass lid with no air holes but has a live plant for oxygen? Would that work? I have dubias in there right now but if I give dubia dynasty some of the dubias I'm going to give him them. Peanut jar is 4.5" x 4.5" x 7".

I was told that plants consume a lot of oxygen during the night. Yes, I guess 2.5 gallon terrarium would be fine with just a few roaches. I am not exactly sure how big a 2.5 gallon is. Though I would know if you told me how many cm or inches tall/wide/depth of the aquarium.

I believe it's 13" x 6" x 8"

I never had a problem with the pothos and the Dubia. I had 14 females, 2 males, roughly 20 nymphs, and 22 turks living all together with no problems.

I figure that the american roach would be a good breeder, and feeder for my bearded dragon.

I read that Periplaneta americana can take two years to mature. The Blatta lateralis might breed faster. I also have had no problem with the pothos plant being with Turkestan roaches.

The turks don't breed at all for me. That's why I figure the american roach might be better.

I hope that when I get them I'll get some sub adults or adults so I can start breeding right away. Hopefully when I get them they will be strong breeders!

Do you let the eco earth dry out? I dry out the substrate and then add water and they hatch (I am not sure if they always do it like this).

When I had more I fed carrots, collard greens, oranges, chick starter (hormone free) and SOME dog food. Now its usually carrots and chick starter. I know I have 3 males, 3 or 4 females, and a handful of nymphs.

Strange diet. LOL! I just feed mine bread and banana. Do you know if the collard greens have pesticides?

No pesticides I feed everything listed to my beardie so I know they are safe for them! Its quite fusterating when you can't breed something that is supposed to be easier than anything....

Yes, she is laying an ootheca! They look healthy. How long were your females adult? A month?

2 months for 2 of them the third one was a fresh moult 2 weeks ago.

Awesome! Now if I can hatch it I will be set! I am really excited!

I know I wonder if all of my previous adults were sterile from hot temps or something beats me I'm glad I got something now!!!

They NEVER got to hot while in my care but when I got them the lady I bought them from had a heat mat basically explode because it was hot...

I always had them on a mini heat pad that never got above 90°F.