Which heater

husker

I'm going to be heating a 10 gallon tank with a screen top, looking to keep temps minimum of 85° should I get

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTherm®-Heater-Medium/dp/B0002AQCL4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415994123&sr=8-2&keywords=Under+tank+heater

Or where I have the screen top should I go for. Going to be side of the tank mounted

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTherm®-Under-Heater/dp/B0002AQCLO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1415994123&sr=8-3&keywords=Under+tank+heater

Thanks for your input.

Interesting, I haven't seen that type of heater, I Wanting the pad because I can side mount it. I have the same brand two mini ones on my current tank they work great. The size people use on their 10 gallon tanks are all over the map, some say one medium, two small, one large. No one says what temp they are trying to keep their tank at tho. Just curious if anyone had experience witht these. Worse comes to worse I guess I'll get one med. test the temps over the week, and if necessary get another med for the other side or buy a large . Just figured if anyone else has used these could get one large Instead of two med. if needed. Pain to peel the things off to return them.

Interesting, I haven't seen that type of heater, I Wanting the pad because I can side mount it. I have the same brand two mini ones on my current tank they work great. The size people use on their 10 gallon tanks are all over the map, some say one medium, two small, one large. No one says what temp they are trying to keep their tank at tho. Just curious if anyone had experience witht these. Worse comes to worse I guess I'll get one med. test the temps over the week, and if necessary get another med for the other side or buy a large . Just figured if anyone else has used these could get one large Instead of two med. if needed. Pain to peel the things off to return them.

These are all the issues (and they break all the time) that motivated me to stop using them. Just my opinion... :)

Coming from a hermit crabbing background, our hermit group always recommends the largest pad that will fit on the back of the tank if you want side mounted heat. Most of the brands sold in stores run cold, and if you want tropical temps more is better and if it's too much then a plug in lamp dimmer from the hard ware store will adjust the temp down.

There are no guides on what is the 'right' amount, because there are so many variables involved. Room temp, drafts, humidity, sunlight, other equipment, decorations, substrate, etc. Trial and error is pretty much the only way. Ultratherms are highly reguarded to pump out lots of heat, I've had great luck personally with Flukers (both brands are removable), and a rheostat will help with fine tuning.

• 1 month later...

Went with your recommendation of the flukers heating pad Wodesorel. Got the 11x17 Size fits 90% of the back of the tank perfectly. Very nice recommendation excellent heater very impressed with it. Very thin, pumps out nice heat no adhesive to so can move it as many times as needed love it . Since both sides heat up I put a exacto knife self healing cutting board over the top to redirect the heat inwards, as directions recommend putting something over it if it's going on the outside of a tank. Thanks for the recommendation

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

If you're set on the pad I would use one in conjunction with a thermostat so you can regulate the heat and that it is not running full bore as long as it is plugged in. You can buy a pad that's smaller than the full tank so the roach can move to the other (cooler) side if they get too hot (if that's possible). Also IMHO I never put them on the bottom of the tank I always put it on one side or the other for air exchange. HTH