So many new species!

A couple years ago I had to sell off most of my roach colonies due to life circumstances, so I've been out of the hobby for a little bit. I'm just now beginning to get back into it in a serious way and it seems like while I was gone the hobby exploded with new species! I used to recognize just about every species posted and now they are mostly a mystery to me. I'm super excited to learn about all of these new roaches and to start building my collection again. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's nice to be back!

Currently I own:

A. tesselata

G. portentosa

B. dubia

B. giganteus

E. posticus

B. craniifer/discoid hybrids (Don't kill me I didn't make them I just feed them to my other critters, my friend gave them to me.)

We got some really nice additions in our hobby recently so hope you get a chance to acquire them :)

B. craniifer/discoid hybrids (Don't kill me I didn't make them I just feed them to my other critters, my friend gave them to me.)

I believe this is actually craniifer/fusca hybrid since discoids can't hybridize with craniifer.

Welcome back! Yep, there are a lot of great new species available, (unfortunately we still don't have archiblatta hoeveni :( ). You should check out roachcrossing.com, it's a great source of information, and has the best selection of roaches to buy. Hope you enjoy your reintroduction to the hobby! :D

I love roachcrossing, when I first got into the hobby I got most of my colonies from Kyle actually. His selection and customer service is amazing! Here are some pictures of those hybrids. There is a lot of variation in the colony when it comes to size and color. There are some very light adults and some very dark ones. I have separated out some of the light ones before to see if it was just a molting issue where they hadn't hardened up enough yet, but nope, they stay light. Some of the nymphs are black and some look dubia color also. Some of my adults are the size of an A. tesselata, and some are not much bigger than an E. posticus.post-2160-0-21735500-1427227519_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-09554400-1427227520_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-23042400-1427227521_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-87593600-1427227521_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-53547900-1427227522_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-14225600-1427227523_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-80240700-1427227523_thumb.jpg

I love roachcrossing, when I first got into the hobby I got most of my colonies from Kyle actually. His selection and customer service is amazing! Here are some pictures of those hybrids. There is a lot of variation in the colony when it comes to size and color. There are some very light adults and some very dark ones. I have separated out some of the light ones before to see if it was just a molting issue where they hadn't hardened up enough yet, but nope, they stay light. Some of the nymphs are black and some look dubia color also. Some of my adults are the size of an A. tesselata, and some are not much bigger than an E. posticus.post-2160-0-21735500-1427227519_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-09554400-1427227520_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-23042400-1427227521_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-87593600-1427227521_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-53547900-1427227522_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-14225600-1427227523_thumb.jpgpost-2160-0-80240700-1427227523_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not, it appears that you have discoid hybrids and possible fusca hybrids coexisting in your culture. lol

This is why people should purposely breed the different hybrid combos and carefully photo document their growth and instars and adult coloring and genital photos so we have a better guide to identify them and tell what each hybrid looks like.

Whatever these are I've seen shipped to me from supposedly pure stock so it's obvious what we think is pure probably are hybrids by now anyway in most cases. I found them to be more vigorous in breeding and longetivity so in this case I think

hybrids are beneficial.

This conversation is going to open the proverbial "can of worms" if you start talking about purposely making hybrids. Just a warning as to what may come when others read about hybrids. I've seen facebook groups splinter over this issue. :-)

I am seriously willing to do that! Start like a sub roach hobby consisting of all hybrids :P

You should then you can keep us posted here with your results, and cockroach books can be updated with your photos.

I know there is a bad thing about hybrids but if we can breed hybrids for science and the future of the hobby, it's worth it! Just got to be careful and mark every container as hybrids

Exactly, your keeping track and no cross contamination you can do what you please with your personal collection.

I would love to see some people experiment with it while keeping strict documentation. I think that would be very interesting. I don't want to start a fight though! I suspect there are probably a couple of species that we don't think can hybridize that actually can.