Jon Barrett and I need your help. Please help us roach community!

Inkie14

Roach community, you've always proven to be a great group of fun-loving, wicked smart, totally weird, totally awesome people. I've made a lot of great friends in this big league of bug-lovers.

And now, I and another community member are asking for your help.

LYMEPICCC%20copy.jpg

I was diagnosed with a terrible, debilitating disease in August that very few people know anything about. Jon Barrett is currently being tested for this disease, and it's looking like he probably has it. His mother and his aunt are affected too.

I am asking you, the roach-loving bucket of awesome sauce that you are, to do one little thing to help me and my friend.

Please take the Lyme Disease Challenge.

It is a grassroots campaign dedicated to raising awareness for the true severity of Lyme Disease. Lyme Disease is the largest epidemic in the U.S. today, and possibly the entire world. Being nature-loving bug collectors and hikers, our community is especially at risk for this disease. It has destroyed my life, and the lives of millions and millions of others. And it is incurable.

Please, please help us spread awareness, and take the challenge.

The challenge is already going viral, and has been taken by a large number of celebrities, the most recent one being William Shatner.

You can read more about the challenge here: http://lymediseasechallenge.org/

All you have to do is take a picture or video of yourself biting a lime, say a fact about Lyme Disease, challenge three or more people on social media, and donate 10 dollars to ILADS, a charity dedicated to finding a cure for Lyme Disease and fighting for patient rights.

I know it's easy to just skip past this post, and ignore… But I have hope that the Allpet roaches community will step up and show support for their suffering brethren. :)

If you do the challenge, please, add me and Jon on Facebook (Jordan Landerman and Jon Barrett) and tag us in your post! It would mean so much to us to see an outpouring of support from our community!

Thank you so much for reading this. See my story and video below.

Where do you live? It seems to me that there are good doctors sprinkled around in some places, but for the most part, the whole of the medical community dismisses and denies the existence of Chronic Lyme Disease and doesn't think Lyme is that big of a deal. A friend of mine went in to her primary care doctor yesterday and updated him about her Chronic Lyme diagnosis, and showed him her positive Western Blot and culture tests taken before she started treatment and then again 5 months after. He told her that he "didn't believe in Chronic Lyme," and that all of her "odd psychiatric symptoms and physical manifestations of delusional thoughts" were because her hormones "got messed up" when she gave birth to her son 15 years earlier. He prescribed anti-depressants and sent her away. These doctors have blood on their hands. My incompetent doctors almost killed me with their negligence. My hope is that the Lyme Disease Challenge will help spread awareness to those who have no idea this is going on.

There are people who "don't believe in chronic Lyme?" That seems so strange... Here in massacheusetts Lyme is very well known. Hiking trails get closed, every doctor's office has deer tick identification posters, kindergarten teachers are supposed to check children for ticks every time they come in from recess.... And it's real common. I had Lyme last summer but of course it was caught early. I can't believe that there are still parts of the country that still need Lyme disease awareness...

There are people who "don't believe in chronic Lyme?" That seems so strange... Here in massacheusetts Lyme is very well known. Hiking trails get closed, every doctor's office has deer tick identification posters, kindergarten teachers are supposed to check children for ticks every time they come in from recess.... And it's real common. I had Lyme last summer but of course it was caught early. I can't believe that there are still parts of the country that still need Lyme disease awareness...

Well, "Lyme infection" and "Chronic Lyme" are two very different things... Lyme infections are relatively common and cleared quickly with antibiotics, whereas the diagnosis of "Chronic Lyme" has a great deal of controversy surrounding it.

The singer Avril lavigne has been sick with this for months I heard, creeps me out I went walking with thousands of tick nymphs in grass even though I had repellent and my socks and pants tucked in and light clothing.

I hope you both feel better soon!

I grew up in West Michigan, and I NEVER saw a tick. I currently live in Minnesota- very similar climate - and when I go hunting I come back LOADED with ticks. Horrified me the first time. It really puts a damper on exploring the woods, knowing that those little biting freaks will be all over me by the time I am done.