Periplaneta japonica

Good! Can these guys become house pests, or do they live outside but wander in from time to time?

Not sure. In South Korea they are called "house cockroaches". I think they were common in rotting tree stumps, but not sure if that is what they were.

Said to be considered a household pest in northeastern China.

http://www.biodivers...ge/419/mode/1up

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok then, I don't think these guys will be too much of a problem if they escape, at least not here in Idaho. I can see them being a problem in Florida or some other warm area.

• 2 months later...

I'm seeing loads of females carrying oothecae now. I'm going to be overrun with nymphs soon. LOL

Well that's always good, lol! :D Glad they are breeding prolifically!

• 4 months later...

Took some pics last night. Was hoping these guys would be popular in the hobby but hardly anyone seems to be interested in them as only a single person bought this species from me.

13710008_1200527013342745_8381387236527051573_n.jpg?oh=032416841e89075ba2366ed060bef49c&oe=582DD389

13686597_1200527073342739_4743747199544073594_n.jpg?oh=f7d15b267d9660d975e5ef717f24c458&oe=58358295

These look cool, I pretty much like the look and patterns of most Periplaneta sp. but the possibility of any escapees getting out and reproducing in my house would be the turnoff for me, maybe that's why other people haven't shown much interest in this species.

But they are no doubt still a cool roach. :)

These look cool, I pretty much like the look and patterns of most Periplaneta sp. but the possibility of any escapees getting out and reproducing in my house would be the turnoff for me, maybe that's why other people haven't shown much interest in this species.

Periplaneta don't reproduce inside houses, they only breed outside around human residences and the adults often wander in.

I wouldn't mind having this species, and was contemplating buying some from you a little while back, but were are species higher up on my wish list at that I wanted to get at the time and now I'm out of room, (and cash). :(

Thanks :) I love the look on most Periplaneta (except for americana. They don't interest me as much as other Periplaneta. lol) and their patterns too!

FYI these seem to be rather terrible at infesting my house as I've had several escapees that eventually turned up dead in my room. My P. australasiae on the other hand has been breeding in my room -_-

Periplaneta don't reproduce inside houses, they only breed outside around human residences and the adults often wander in.

I wouldn't mind having this species, and was contemplating buying some from you a little while back, but were are species higher up on my wish list at that I wanted to get at the time and now I'm out of room, (and cash). :(

Ya, they tend to produce outside of the house. However, P. fulginosa and P. australasiae will breed indoor if there's water and food available for them. I've seen fuliginosa breed in kitchen at a church I stayed at, and the australasiae escapees have been breeding in my room for about a year (I'm seriously considering about using boric acid to get rid of these guys).

Hopefully I'll still have these guys available when you have more room and cash available :)

Ya, they tend to produce outside of the house. However, P. fulginosa and P. australasiae will breed indoor if there's water and food available for them. I've seen fuliginosa breed in kitchen at a church I stayed at, and the australasiae escapees have been breeding in my room for about a year (I'm seriously considering about using boric acid to get rid of these guys).

Hopefully I'll still have these guys available when you have more room and cash available :)

Wow, that's the first I've heard of any Periplaneta infesting houses! Sorry to hear the P.australasia have been breeding in your house, that sucks. Doubt they'd do well here where it is more arid, but still, probably won't be getting that particular species anytime soon.

Yeah, hopefully, will definitely let you know when I'm interested in getting some. ;)

Wow, that's the first I've heard of any Periplaneta infesting houses! Sorry to hear the P.australasia have been breeding in your house, that sucks. Doubt they'd do well here where it is more arid, but still, probably won't be getting that particular species anytime soon.

Yeah, hopefully, will definitely let you know when I'm interested in getting some. ;)

Ya, after years of keeping them I've concluded that australasiae isn't really an ideal species to keep unless you have a really secure container.

So i have some questions on Periplaneta japonica do they breed fast enough to be used as a feeder spieces? Do they climb/fly specifically do nymphs climb glass or plastic? Can they be raised on egg crate? Are they really fast?

So i have some questions on Periplaneta japonica do they breed fast enough to be used as a feeder spieces? Do they climb/fly specifically do nymphs climb glass or plastic? Can they be raised on egg crate? Are they really fast?

They are unfortunately somewhat slow breeders so I wouldn't recommend them as feeders. 3rd instar and up are able to climb, but 1st and 2nd instar seem to be unable to do that. Never raised them on egg crates but it probably will work. They are quite fast runners.