Sign in to follow this  
Keith

Accidental Hisser death ?

One of the hissers I raised since birth died from an odd accident. In my cage I have a tiny, shallow water dish that's actually a plastic cover from can o crickets. Less than an inch of water, for a Hisser it's nearly nothing it can walk in the water safely.

Well, I woke up and found one dead, on its back, in the water dish. I figure what happened was it accidently fell off a log a few inches away, landed in the dish on its back and being well fed couldn't right itself, and probably drowned from the spiracles touching the water for a long time. 😢

When I woke up I found him dead, I took him out hoping he would be ok but he was already gone. He was my smallest adult Hisser, the runt, I named Little Man. He was 2, still had a few years left. :(

Usually my others hissers have no trouble with the water, guess his small size was his downfall, he will be missed.

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure he lived a very nice life. You did all that you could, sometimes accidents happen. :(

How long did you watch him after pulling him out of the water dish? Insects can appear dead for hours after "drowning" only to come back to life.

How long did you watch him after pulling him out of the water dish? Insects can appear dead for hours after "drowning" only to come back to life.

2 days after to make sure.