Forcep

Eucorydia aenea

Eggs and new hatchlings; the newborns are tiny as dirt.

post-3283-0-64664200-1438652247_thumb.jpg

Nymphs, resembling to Therea but smaller

post-3283-0-69020300-1438652511_thumb.jpg

Adult male

post-3283-0-55711400-1438652580_thumb.jpg

Seems there're less females and they don't hang out as much as males. The males are super active, especially during the day since it's a diurnal cockroach species. Despite their small size it took them almost a year to develop to adults; still need to see if they're prolific breeders or not.

OMG!!! Since when were these in the USA!?!?!?!?! ME WANT!!! :D

Any good common name for these? If Kyle gets to it first it will be the little giant metallic blue-green and orange halloween christmas penguin. Just jokin' K.

OMG!!! Since when were these in the USA!?!?!?!?! ME WANT!!! :D

I've been keeping them since last year, those are quite slow growers but hopefully will start producing ooths for me soon

Any good common name for these? If Kyle gets to it first it will be the little giant metallic blue-green and orange halloween christmas penguin. Just jokin' K.

How about banded purple roach? Pretty straightforward :D

Well they are polyphagids, they all take a long time to grow unfortunately! :P

It looks more blue green than purple to me, then again I'm ever so slightly color blind, so.. :lol:

That's a nice name! :)

How about banded purple roach? Pretty straightforward :D

Isn't the body blue overall?

If I remember correctly, these are called Taiwanese flower roach (at least in South Korea).

Where does that come from, are they called that in Taiwan too? Sounds like a reference to where the adults may be encountered. Nice name.

If I remember correctly, these are called Taiwanese flower roach (at least in South Korea).

So they have a Korean name? Wow that's wonderful, considering 1. they don't distribute in Korea and 2. they are not common in international pet or specimen market. Do you know where their Korean name comes from?

Isn't the body blue overall?

Where does that come from, are they called that in Taiwan too? Sounds like a reference to where the adults may be encountered. Nice name.

well the color varies on different light condition... some times they looks almost black lol but yes they're mostly blue with some green and purple, depends on how you look at it.

They are not called "Taiwanese flower roach" in Taiwan though, it's always hard when comes to translation but the name's like "banded red&dark blue cockroach".

This species is also endemic to China along with other Eucorydia, where it is called "bronze true turtle roach"; apparently the bronze here refers to the color of oxidized&aged bronze. "True turtle roach" comes from the genus name Eucorydia, since Polyphagid are usually called "turtle roach" or "ground turtle" in Chinese. Seems they also appears in other SE Asian places but I've got no clue of their local names there -_-

To answer Allpet Roaches and Forcep, the name was listed on a blog on korean website. Perhaps "flower roach" is what Japanese refer to certain species of Eucorydia, and this blog translated into korean.

Oh and another species in the same genus, Eucorydia yasumatsui, was called silk roach on the same blog.

I have never kept them but I assume they would need a similar setup to Ergaula/Therea sp, deep substrate, moist lower layer, dry upper layer, and lots of dead leaves. Holocompsa would also probably like the same setup, they are all in the same family.

Any updates on these beauties? :)

Adults are gone, and I see small nymphs digging around. Will wait till they're bigger to make a better count. Apparently they are periodical, just like Therea.

Very cool, so the adults have the same short lifespan as Therea?

Very cool, so the adults have the same short lifespan as Therea?

Yep they're short lived, and have a long nymphal stage like Therea

Cool, so glad these are in the US hobby, I love Polyphagids! :D

Awesome species! What's the care like on them?

Seems like their care is similar to that of Therea or Ergaula.