How to make a good enclosure?

Hisserdude

I have a few questions on how you guys make your enclosures.

First off, what do you use to cut a hole in the container for the screen?

Secondly, what is the best way to apply screen to the enclosure, a hot glue gun? And will one of the small $3 ones work, or do I need a heavy duty glue gun? Or is there a better glue out there?

And thirdly, will regular window screen work?

Thanks in advance!

I use a dremel to cut my plastic containers.

If using regular window screen, sand the area you're applying it to. Then just use any hot glue gun. I've used a cheap $5 one for years and it's been ok.

You can use regular mesh for non-climbers. I'd suggest a metal mesh for climbers or when the roaches are able to reach the vents. I use a soldering iron with a thick tip for better heat transfer. This melds the mesh to the plastic making it extremely secure.

Ok, thanks! Just wondering, why shouldn't I use window screen for climbers? Do they chew through it or something? And where do I buy metal mesh?

Well dang, guess I better get some metal mesh, anyone know where to get some for cheap? Does Home Depot have some, or do I need to order online?

Aluminium mesh is the cheapest I've found. Yes, Home Depot should have it.

My hissers and lobster roaches have shredded through the other stuff. I also have DIY food bowls with mesh glued on to get in and out. Those have to be replaced periodically too.

• 1 month later...

Get a big pet carrier if you're not planning to breed, it works great and is easy to use!

Plus you can take your roaches with you places as I'm the only one that actually feeds and takes care of them so they get to enjoy my vacation as much as I do.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, but those things are too expensive compared to modified shoe boxes to justify buying a bunch of them. Plus the holes they put in the lid are big enough to let most roach nymphs out. The nice thing about roaches is that you can leave them on vacation for a week or two. Just give them a few carrots ore other long lasting food, make sure the cage is moist enough, and you don't have to worry about them.