Balta vilis

Ooh! Never seen any of the Balta species in the US! Hope you are successful breeding them! :)

Thanks :) These have been quite troublesome in the beginning but seem to be taking off nicely now. Balta notulata on the other hand has been doing extremely well since the beginning :)

Very nice looking species!

Thanks :) These have been quite troublesome in the beginning but seem to be taking off nicely now. Balta notulata on the other hand has been doing extremely well since the beginning :)

Interesting, what's their care like? And you also have B.notulata!? Now you got to upload some pics of those too! :P

Interesting, what's their care like? And you also have B.notulata!? Now you got to upload some pics of those too! :P

I'm keeping them on semi-moist eco earth with lots of oak leaves on top, and I keep orange P. scaber as cleanup crew. Been feeding them fish flakes and dog food.

I want to get pics of notulata too, but the nymphs are so tiny and restless that I can't get a pic out of them. Will be taking some pics once they grow large enough for me to have easier time getting pics.

Alright, thanks for the info. Glad you are doing well with this genus, and I look forward to seeing them get established in the US hobby! :D

• 3 months later...

Update on these guys : Unfortunately, out of around 30+ nymphs I had only 8 survived (4 second instars and 4 pre sub) while I was away for spring break :( I'm hoping I'll be able to get a pair out of these survivors and continue breeding this species!

On a side note, Balta notulata are doing super well compare to villis. Almost all of my nymphs born from the single female has made it to subadult so I'm hoping to be able to see adults soon

Update on these guys : Unfortunately, out of around 30+ nymphs I had only 8 survived (4 second instars and 4 pre sub) while I was away for spring break :( I'm hoping I'll be able to get a pair out of these survivors and continue breeding this species!

On a side note, Balta notulata are doing super well compare to villis. Almost all of my nymphs born from the single female has made it to subadult so I'm hoping to be able to see adults soon

Well that sucks, sorry to hear that. I really hope you can get the remaining individuals to breed for you!

Glad to hear the B.notulata are faring better, at least one of your Balta species are doing well.

Well that sucks, sorry to hear that. I really hope you can get the remaining individuals to breed for you!

Glad to hear the B.notulata are faring better, at least one of your Balta species are doing well.

and ya, I personally like notulata better than villis so I'm extremely glad that these guys are doing well for me. Hoping I'll be able to get this species spread in the US hobby soon :)

and ya, I personally like notulata better than villis so I'm extremely glad that these guys are doing well for me. Hoping I'll be able to get this species spread in the US hobby soon :)

Cool, this hobby is due for an infusion of new species! :)

Yep. Hopefully I'll be able to introduce bunch of new species in the hobby once I come back from AZ

Ooh, looking for some Parcoblatta notha are you? ;) Would love to see some of the Arenivaga there in the hobby, as well as some Compsodes. Good luck finding some cool roaches!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like they are breeding for me ;)

13232961_1154390327956414_4666634924022679821_n.jpg?oh=1f37ef261212a8d1ae9ad2153bf21c08&oe=57D56D2F

13177416_1154390324623081_5731354603844671292_n.jpg?oh=75258d654b9ab9238e40a91f745fac56&oe=57E6DFF5

13239196_1154390397956407_3201876755049887329_n.jpg?oh=0314b4c0f340fc5be62828666c86ce70&oe=57A2C4E8

13230216_1154390387956408_6593730584626551745_n.jpg?oh=e88e11788bb1d036b48ff83d5582c391&oe=57E249BB

Ooh nice, looks like you may be able to save your culture yet!

• 3 months later...

Whelp...the culture died while I was in AZ, but I received more today so hopefully I'll be able to establish a colony again :)

Sorry to hear your old colony died out, hope you are able to establish a new one! :)