Sign in to follow this  
Bufo Bill

Loboptera decipiens- Babies!

Hi, I've been working with the last of my colony of Loboptera decipiens pretty intensively for over a month, and during removing some spoiled food on Monday, I found a little Ootheca. There may have been others as today I saw a tiny yellow being walking over a dead leaf! I think I have baby roaches!

Way to small to get a good picture of but I hope to see more soon.

All the best from Bill. :D

Congrats on the ooths and the nymphs! That's awesome that you got them to breed successfully for you! :)

Thanks! Just seen a couple pop out of the Ootheca, wow they're small! Now I know why I never see neonates in my Blaberidae "Kenya" vivarium, they're just too tiny.

Good day to be a Roach Keeper.

Congrats Bill, hope the hatchlings do well for you! :)

Thanks guys! I am so pleased that almost every sentence ends with an exclamation mark!

@Cariblatta lutea thanks, I hope you get some little ones soon too. We should probably compare care notes, we both might learn something new.

@hisserdude, thanks again, good to know there's a fellow "Whovian" on here, we should exchange nerd points and Discuss the last series!

@hisserdude, thanks again, good to know there's a fellow "Whovian" on here, we should exchange nerd points and Discuss the last series!

Alas, I have not watched much of this latest season, I find Peter capaldi a little boring. Not enough enthusiasm for a doctor in my opinion. I'll get around to watching it soon enough though, would love to discuss when I do! :)

I have seen three ootheca and witnessed a mating twice since my last post, the babies are difficult to see as they hide all the time. These roaches can mate successfully at 75% humidity and above, and often drink water droplets at this humidity, so they can take a wide range of conditions successfully. My specimens like carrot most.

Very cool, glad they are still breeding! :D Some of my roaches love carrots, some of them won't touch them. Glad yours like them, they are cheap and very rot resistant, I have some chunks of carrots that are still good after being in a cage for several months!

Awesome Bill! :) I researched them and they look like a really cool species! Hope they keep breeding for you and you get more nymphs! :)

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

I saw quite a few babies over the last few days. Three different instars that start out orange and the oldest ones now have pale orange heads and black shiny butts. I suppose I should be all scientific and say black glossy abdomens, but they're too cute dash it all to heckery!

I keep them at roughly 70 - 75%RH and they seem fine. They need a daily spray with an atomiser type bottle as they all come out to drink from the rocks and glass.

I saw another mating taking place just now, and I've noted that the females can keep the Ootheca clasped to them for several days after laying.

Mall the best from Bill. :D

Very nice! Glad to hear they're really taking off for you now! Gotta love having a bunch of cute little nymphs running around! :)

VERY Cute, but a pain in the neck to photograph, I have been trying but even the slightest movement startles them ATM.

We've had the first warm week after a long cold spring here in the UK. These guys seem to love it! Dozens of young nymphs parading around the Vivarium! A few months back I was on the verge of losing the colony, but there are plenty of young now, with a good few looking like they are close to maturity. They are really going nuts tonight, I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Mall the best from Bill. :D