zebra isopods

Bamboo

I was really considering getting a few cultures of Zebra isopods but I have been shying away from them since a few folks local that I know that keep them say they are just surviving and not thriving , much less reproducing. I've read they need plenty of air circulation.... any other tips and pointers?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Higher ventilation than most other genera of isopod, lots of rotting leaves and wood and they won't say no to extra treats like fish food and carrots! Very neat species to keep, I wholeheartedly recommend them! :) I haven't had any reproduction in mine yet, but I have a very small culture and I'm just getting my first adults now.

I broke down and bought 5 adults... I've had them about two months .. set them up in a shoe box with same substrate as my roaches ... with rotting wood and dead leaves .. I did drill holes on the sides of the shoe box for extra ventilation... I do spray in there once a week .. so far so good .... not sure what the babies look like but I looked yesterday to see if any are still alive and they are... in fact I see VERY tiny isopods as well, perhaps babies ? again I'm not sure what they look like as babies ....

When my isopods had babies they were very tiny and white. I'm not sure how zebra isopod babies look, since mine were porcellio scaber, but they probably look similar.

Hatchling isopods are white, so it looks like you got babies! :) They'll stay pale for a few molts most likely, and eventually darken in color.