Perisphaerus pygmaeus (Pygmy Roly-poly Roach)

On 10/29/2016 at 11:30 PM, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, I'm hoping I can keep them happy, I just added some bark hides to the enclosure, though they still really like hiding under the rotten wood chunks I have in their enclosure. Hope you'll be able to get more one day, they are really cool! :)

Ah, I wonder if the rotten wood will be the preferred hiding spot then? I didn't have any rotten wood with mine, so they were pretty much forced to hide under the bark. Something else to keep in mind that I didn't realize until it was too late, was that the females might stress out easily. I had a group of little Kenyan roaches that somehow made their way into her enclosure and I didn't notice them until they were much larger and my last female was on her way out. One thing I noticed as well is that when males are getting older and closer to dying, they wander a lot more and you'll find them near the lid of the enclosure. Not sure if that's just how it was for me, but I had several males and they all did that shortly before dying. 

On 10/31/2016 at 7:49 PM, pannaking22 said:

Ah, I wonder if the rotten wood will be the preferred hiding spot then? I didn't have any rotten wood with mine, so they were pretty much forced to hide under the bark. Something else to keep in mind that I didn't realize until it was too late, was that the females might stress out easily. I had a group of little Kenyan roaches that somehow made their way into her enclosure and I didn't notice them until they were much larger and my last female was on her way out. One thing I noticed as well is that when males are getting older and closer to dying, they wander a lot more and you'll find them near the lid of the enclosure. Not sure if that's just how it was for me, but I had several males and they all did that shortly before dying. 

It seems to be, even with the new bark pieces in the enclosure they are still hiding under the largest chunk of rotten wood in there, they must really like it. Yeah, I'm just hoping my setup for them won't stress them out, so far they seem to be doing OK. I never noticed my males hanging out by the lid, they all hung out with the females under the leaves and rotten wood pieces. 

On 11/1/2016 at 9:30 PM, Hisserdude said:

It seems to be, even with the new bark pieces in the enclosure they are still hiding under the largest chunk of rotten wood in there, they must really like it. Yeah, I'm just hoping my setup for them won't stress them out, so far they seem to be doing OK. I never noticed my males hanging out by the lid, they all hung out with the females under the leaves and rotten wood pieces. 

I'd say that's a good sign and they're doing well! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, All About Insects said:

That's awesome! Congratulations!!!:D

Thanks! :D

8 hours ago, Roach collector said:

Awesome!!! Congrats! When do you think you'll post about it on your blog? 

Yeah, I'll probably write about them in my next blog post. I'll be moving them to a larger enclosure this week, I'll try to snap some pics of the babies then. :)

Whoaaa, congrats! Great to see another person who has successfully bred them! :) And hopefully yours are the real deal, unlike mine which ended up being damn Paraplecta lol.

8 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Whoaaa, congrats! Great to see another person who has successfully bred them! :) And hopefully yours are the real deal, unlike mine which ended up being damn Paraplecta lol.

Thanks! :) They are definitely Corydidarum babies, they were all huddled around their mother, so cute! :D

13 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Congrat.! I'm glad you've had success with this species! 

A while ago I saw a pic of Corydidarum species with babies feeding on fluid from the joints of their mother, which seems really neat! Have you observed this behavior yet? 

Thanks, me too! :D

No, I haven't seen any such behavior yet, I've been trying not to disturb them much. Didn't know Corydidarum exhibited that behavior, I thought it was limited to Perisphaerus.

17 minutes ago, lovebugfarm said:

Well done. I tip my hat to you sir. :)

Thanks! :)

3 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Here are those pictures of the babies, they are so cute!! :D

CorydidYoung%25232.JPG

CorydidYoung%25233.JPG

CorydidYoung%25234.JPG

I agree! Man they must be tiny, they are only twice as big as some of the S.curviseta! Glad you were able to successfully breed these guys, hopefully one day they'll become common in the hobby.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, All About Insects said:

I agree! Man they must be tiny, they are only twice as big as some of the S.curviseta! Glad you were able to successfully breed these guys, hopefully one day they'll become common in the hobby.

Yeah, they are pretty small! Thanks, they'll likely be one of the rarer roaches in the hobby for quite some time still, as they are pretty slow breeding and don't have many nymphs per litter, only got about 8-9 babies in this litter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some pictures of one of the females and some of the nymphs together, later on the female got really protective and let the babies huddle under her as she shielded them from me, so cute! :wub: In the last picture you can just barely make out one of the nymphs peeking out from under her, in between her legs. :D

C.pygmaea%25231.JPG

C.pygmaea%25232.JPG

C.pygmaea%25233.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Turns out it was Perisphaerus. Not Corydidarum. lol

Ah, good to know! :) Yeah I never saw my nymphs exhibit any suckling behavior, so I'm pretty sure they just eat normal food as nymphs.

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, specimen24-6 said:

Congratulations, hope more come your way :)

Thanks, I hope so too! :D

31 minutes ago, WarrenB said:

Orange tictacs!

Congrats, though. Looks like a great species. They're like roaches in the form of pill millipedes.

Lol they kinda do look like those, IRL though without the flash they are much more brown looking.

Thanks, they are really unique! :) Yeah, or like actual pillbugs!  

• Hisserdude changed the title to Perisphaerus pygmaeus (Pygmy Roly-poly Roach)